Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Electronic ignition - huge benefits claimed

Starting technique is all with hot injected engines, it is my belief that the problem is caused by fuel evaporation in the line between the injector unit body and the injector. Keeping the electric fuel pump running during starting seems to resolve this problem.

I don’t dare keeping it up during start, but having it on during priming (and I prime my hot engine, for 4 seconds) seems to solve it as long as my battery is in good shape.

EGTF, LFTF

Denopa that was the technique I quickly learned when I graduated to an IO360 and had hot start issues. Never failed since.

UK, United Kingdom

That’s the standard method for hot starting an IO540.

I am not sure how a more powerful spark would help.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Fuel vaporising in the lines & intake manifold leads to an overly lean mixture. Significantly reduced advance and a longer and stronger spark helps igniting even a lean mixture (just like it helps with deep LOP operations which are significantly smoother with EI). It’s not just “a more powerful spark”.

The booster pump helps but the demarcation line between boosting and flooding is thin in the TSIO-550. With the push-button mod it just starts any time, all the time.

Similarly in the fuel injected CC393 engine – it just starts, you don’t have to think about it. If Lycoming weren’t sure it worked, they wouldn’t have spent money adapting / integrating SureFly’s solution.

Last Edited by T28 at 24 Aug 09:21
T28
Switzerland

What is the “push button mod”? I didn’t see that in the Surefly IM.

Administrator

Electroair sells a push-button kit that replaces the mag key ignition with two rocker switches and a start button.

Obviously for a “push-button” operation you need the EI as well.

Both SF and Electroair work “push-button-like” with the key as well. I just find the actual button easier to use, and less worries about “where did I leave the key”.

T28
Switzerland

Various “electronic magneto” threads moved into this general one

It was getting too confusing, with someone having started a Surefly thread and then Electroair posts ending up in that.

The exception is the D3000 specific thread – but there are no products which currently exist in that sphere.

Administrator

T28 wrote:

Obviously for a “push-button” operation you need the EI as well.

Not true, although the only people who will likely know about this switch are those planning installation of the EIS.

There are two versions of the push-button kit:
- EA-13000 which requires one mag and one EIS
- EA-15000 which works with 2x normal mags
EIS Switch Panels

LSZK, Switzerland

That looks really interesting.

The IM and AML links are dead however!

In principle this should be trivial, because you are just replacing a key switch with two rocker switches and a momentary pushbutton, with the pushbutton replacing the spring-loaded rightmost key switch position. Just swap the wires over on the back of the thingy…

Does make it easier to steal the plane though

Administrator
Sign in to add your message