Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Elstree EGTR to Bex LSGB, Switzerland this weekend - getting through France

Peter wrote:

Only on weekends and only if the sun is out
I went there on Saturday, landing 1000 UTC, and there was loads of room

Yes, from the types on that apron it does not look like Lizard flying style to LFAT

Something like this is my favourite when sun comes out:

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Unblonde, definitely do not worry.
Seine TMA is class E indeed so no need to get a clearance but you will receive very good FIS (like a trafic service) with them.
Those military areas are marked active every day but they are not (like the Chanel DAs). They can be activated at any time, but the times are given separately. I have an Activity information menu in SD (I guess you do too), which sends you to charts showing the active areas for each 4hr slot. Anyway, they are never active on weekends and Seine/Bale FIS will know. If they don’t tell you they are active, they probably are not. Of course you may ask for confirmation (it is relaxing).

LFOU, France

For the military area just ask FIS if it is active.
I went trough this weekend for my trip EBNM – LFLI (trip report to follow) it was not active and no issue to go through.
Military are normally closed in weekends as well.
Hope this helps.

jfw
Belgium: EBGB (Grimbergen, Brussels) - EBNM (Namur), Belgium

Even if the military is active, French ATC will often clear you through somehow or hand you over to some military ATC. The people from Bâle Info/Approach are great, so don’t worry.

In Switzerland, things are different. Transit through airspace C is often difficult and restricted areas (LS-R) are often more like prohibited areas, just like in Germany. Geneva Information gives good airspace and traffic information, but they won’t give you any clearance. In case you need CAS transit, just ask the appropriate ATC unit by yourself. This is faster and easier as coordination with Geneva Information.

I forgot to mention in my last post that Bex is FR-only, so be aware of that. There is a Swiss rule saying English is always allowed, however, Bex doesn’t have an English accreditation (see VFR Guide COM 2-APP1), so other pilots might not understand you.

Last Edited by Frans at 06 Aug 11:38
Switzerland
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message