Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Engine Oil

Lycoming SI 1014M states:

All turbocharged engines must be broken-in and operated with ashless dispersant oil only.

Is this just for the health of the turbo, or also for the rest of the engine?

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Yes, the danger of coking at the turbocharger bearing where it’s very hot.

As the following article says, you can ignore the Lycoming SI if you make sure the engine is not turned off with a hot turbo.

https://www.avweb.com/news/maint/184932-1.html

@achimha, which oil do you use with your TR182 ?

Philips X/C 20W50. I got a bit sick of replacing the oil based on to the time of year so I settled with this oil and I am happy so far. No ugly sludge like the overrated and failing (as POTUS would say) Aeroshell 15W50. I mix it with Camguard but don’t add the Lycoming LW-16702.

This SI and thread is about the break-in process though, there you don’t want a strong oil film on your barrels so that the piston rings can rub against the barrel and even out gaps.

Last Edited by achimha at 15 Jul 21:13

The watery sludge is a hallmark of Exxon Elite, not AS 15W50.

Re the turbo angle, I have no idea.

Someone asked me the other day if the Mobil 1 0W20 method of cleaning up bunged up oil control rings can be used in a turbo engine (TI0-540). I replied that I have no idea. But presumably there are car engines which have a turbo which use this motor oil. But maybe the turbo is of a very different design?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

AS 15W50 created a lot of sludge for me and I know from several other aircraft as well.

In fact Ed Kollin (the guy who sells Camguard) is very clear that AS15W50 is about the worst oil you can use. I very much agree based on my personal experience with stuck valves. I got rid of sludge and varnish deposits since I switched to Philips X/C (and sometimes straight mineral 100 or 80 if I know I will use its hours during a time of year). Just had a 6x 79/80psi compression test on an engine overhauled in 1995 with 1200h. Oil consumption is so little that I add no oil at all between oil change intervals (25h).

One of the other downsides of AS15W50 is that it reguarly kills starter adapters, at least on the big bore Contis, They start slipping and soon after you are headed for a starter adapter overhaul. Of course this is true for Turbo and NA engines.

(With my NA the first thing I did was change to W80 (Winter) and W100 (Summer) + Camguard)

Ed didn’t say that but, hey, life is too short.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Alexis wrote:

One of the other downsides of AS15W50 is that it reguarly kills starter adapters, at least on the big bore Contis

I have never heard of this. What kills starter adapters, and quickly, is way too much load on it from the beginning. At my field, all day Cirrus pilots start up over 1000 rpm and do not go down at all. That kills the adapter quicker than you know. I have just replaced a third starter adapter on an SR22T that isn’t even a year old.

This has been the oppnion of many of the experts for some years now, for example Mike Busch has written about it many times:

From an interview with M.B.:

“15W-50 has a history of aggravating starter adapter slippage, but not because of its bTPP, rather because of its 50% polyalfaolfin (PAO) synthetic base stock. … (…) .”

Sign in to add your message