Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Engine Oil

In a warm all-year climate I would go for W80 + Camguard.
Here in Europe I take Phillips XC 66 20W50 + Camguard (+ preheat when it is getting cold)

Phillips XC 66 20W50 is available here:
https://www.aircraftspruce.eu/engine-parts/oil/phillips-66/phillips-66-x-c-aviation-oil.html

All about engine oil here:

A_and_C wrote:

IMO oil type is not a major factor in Continental starter failures.

Check if it is a carburated or injected before thinking about changing fuel
If it is carburated put a heater bellow

Last Edited by Ibra at 18 Oct 11:52
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

No 15W50 since I don’t like it at all, at least for Continentals

What are the issues? Is it the starter motor coupling (or whatever it is called)?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It‘s called the starter adapter and yes, that is part of it. The other is that 15W50 is just „watery“, and I want the oil to „stick“ to the stuff, which 15W50
won‘t do.

GE, which is maintaining probably the largest fleet of Continental-powered aircraft in Europe (loads of Cirruses and Beechcraft) recommends W80.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

W80 without plus ..and camguard..it’s the best for my starter adapter..

EBST

The comment that W15W50 is “watery” simply misses the fact that at operating temperature all oils are of a watery consistency because they need to flow around the engine and get into the smallest gaps to enable lubrication.

This ability to flow is important and the thickness of an oil at cold temperatures can inhibit this ability to lubricate from engine start until operating temperature is reached. Multi grade oils address the cold start issues by being able to flow within a cold engine.

As for corrosion protection this is only provided by a very thin film of oil that is left on the engine surfaces after shut down, as both mono grades and multi grades are of the same consistency as the engine is shut down most of the oil simply drains to the sump with the corrosion inhibitors in the Aeroshell W15W50 helping a thin film of oil to stick to engine parts ( most mono grades not having this inhibitor ).

So my conclusion is that the only time a non – watery mono grade is non – watery is when it is in a cold sump or during and just after start when it is providing extra drag on the starter and not yet lubricating efficiently.

I use the Phillips XC 20w50 all year round + 6% camguard. Oil analysis results could not be better. I noticed a significant improvement in wear metals when I increased the camguard ratio from the standard 5% to 6% and kept it there.

Switzerland

The results indicated by those who use Camguard seem to be very good, this begs the question “ why do the major oil companies not use it”?

I am of the opinion that Camguard is beneficial in low usage engines but is of no or little benefit in high usage engines, the people who are buying the most oil are not going to benefit from Camguard and so won’t buy a more expensive oil if it has no advantages to them.

It is the high oil consumers who drive the market as at a guess I would say that the commercial operators and flying schools buy about 75% of the aviation oil sold in the UK and Camguard is of no use to them.

Camguard was developped by a guy who used to work for Exxon. He left the company and started his own brand. If oil companies used camguard in their products, I reckon their price per bottle would be very expensive and as you said, Camguard stuff is really not for everyone. if I could fly my airplane every day, I’d not use camguard. But having an average of 7-8 days per engine start, I really see the benefits of using camguard.

My engine had about 1200hours when I started using Camguard. I send my oil sample to Blackstone labs at every single change so I have a good amount of long term data. Since the day I started using Camguard ( which is now about 7-8 oil changes ago) there has been a steady decrease in wear metals in every change.

Switzerland

Ed Kollin, Camguard inventor, used to be here – posts.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message