Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Engine overhaul dilemma: What would you do?

LFHN, LSGP, LFHM

Thanks all for the very helpful discussion and suggestions.

I am still waiting for quotes from engine shop for the different overhaul options and will update this thread once things move forward.

Cheers,

Michael

LFHN, LSGP, LFHM

Zorg

Top engine and make sure she’s structurally safe and fly the thing! You can’t think of the money spent as value added in aircraft or bolstering resale value. They’re all a losing deals (unless you own one of these three: Cub, PC12 or C185 – those are the only aircraft that don’t depreciate). Take it from me, I’ve lost money on every aircraft I’ve ever owned – and I’ll keep doing it because it’s worth it!

That’s a good analysis @kwlf although there is also the sphere of private owners of certified types, and in that case the passengers (and to a smaller degree 3rd parties) are entitled to some level of protection. Just because the owner has a death wish doesn’t mean the passengers would go along with it

Having said that I don’t think the prebuy requirements are any different.

I am amazed someone would just change the pistons on an engine which, due to some other long history, was already really knackered. But as Silvaire says that would explain the situation. The high level of wear did not happen recently.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

That sounds like really good news, Zorg. So long as the airframe is sound you have something you can work with.

I don’t know how the French system works, but I like to think of the certified and uncertified worlds in the UK as being adversarial versus collaborative models. If you have a Cessna you’re likely to be a flying school, striving to earn the most money with the least expenditure. All the rules for certified aircraft are there to protect innocent customers from this. In the uncertified world, despite the system of ‘inspections’ superficially mirroring that of the certified world, you have a lot more latitude to maintain the aircraft as you see fit. You choose an inspector who you trust to advise you, and ultimately you end up with the aircraft you deserve.

Where this process breaks down is when you buy an aircraft which has been maintained by somebody else and you get the aircraft they deserved. To be fair I don’t think any logbook or inspection process in the world is guaranteed to save you from a vendor who is out to pull the wool over your eyes, but I’ve seen a few things in amateur aircraft that make me think ‘the inspection process is for what??!!’

As I mentioned, I had some very similar issues. In the end I got a plane that I am very fond of. Wooden homebuilt aircraft are special: at some point somebody devoted a decade of dreams and passion to gluing little bits of wood together and now you are the custodian of his efforts. Owning an aircraft like yours teaches you about flying and aircraft in a way that hiring a 152 never will. Sort out the problems and enjoy your flying.

Last Edited by kwlf at 29 Jun 20:31

A few years ago, we replaced 2 cylinders on an O200, under supervision of a retired qualified and experienced engineer. There were not many cylinder/piston sets available in the UK, and the supplier seemed ignorant of the need to balance. We weighed the pistons to check.
That engine is approaching 1000 hours since it’s mid-life top overhaul, well past TBO.
Another syndicate of which I’m a member bought a Bolkow Junior this month, after a few hours inspection with an experienced engineer whom I know. However it’ll be some time before I’m sure the gamble has payed off. Buying an aircraft IS a gamble, and your buying a liability, not an asset. So far, I’m happy.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Ok Zorg, this sounds like a plan. O200 cylinders should not be very expensive and they are fairly easy to get I reckon. Yes, another top overhaul and then a GOOD break in done under supervision of someone who has done them before and you are good to go. I am glad that your mechanic did not find any other issue with the engine.

So in the end it was the previous owner tinkering with the cylinders which got you in this mess. I’d at least tell him…

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Silvaire wrote:

theatrical vendors.

Wonderful…..

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

BeechBaby wrote:

Get it fixed, fly it as you meant to, and forget the money. Trust me, we all have been shafted in aircraft ownership over the years. Comes with the turf….

Yep I wouldn’t forget the money until I’d obtained the best solution though. I might afterwards…

A friend of mine was given a Luscombe Sedan a few years ago and had a very similar cylinder ordeal, the difference being the cost and difficulty of obtaining new cylinders for a 205 HP Continental. By comparison an O-200 is super easy. My friend with the larger engine tried overhauling what he had locally (he’s an A&P although he works only on his own stuff), then he tried shipping them to a vendor for overhaul (resulting in one cylinder broken by the shipping company in transit) then he tried to buy new. I forget where it ended up but in the end he had an engine with good cylinders that now doesn’t burn oil. When sorting out old machinery you do have to be patient and diligent, which often includes not getting ripped off by theatrical vendors.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 29 Jun 18:01

Silvaire wrote:

Anybody who has been through it knows they all need sorting out after purchase, it’s part of the process of acquiring them.

Precisely and the budget should always attempt to incorporate this fact. I have a current issue with my Cub, but that is another thread starter if I can garner the energy to go through it.

Zorg wrote:

So to be slightly cheeky, having an airworthiness certificate (“CDN”) does not necessarily seem to mean much under CNRA-reg — not even that the aircraft is in an airworthy general condition. :)

Like an MOT on a car, meaningless as soon as you drive it out the garage. Bit like an annual with the caveat, it was alright when I checked it. (Or not). I am glad you are now getting some clear pathway. I think your reasoning posted above is sound. You checked everything else and on that basis get it fixed, fly it as you meant to, and forget the money. Trust me, we all have been shafted in aircraft ownership over the years. Comes with the turf….

Last Edited by BeechBaby at 29 Jun 17:31
Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow
40 Posts
Sign in to add your message