Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EuroGA fly-in - Venice Lido LIPV, 18/19 May 2019

A few weeks ago I with similar weather approaching LIPV i was offered to park on the concrete close to the fence without having to ask. Aircraft was a P210 and I was happy to be able to leave in a rolling takeoff directly from the harder parts of the grass.
Although not noticing anything during t/o I later found signs at the belly and horizontal stab of having travelled through at least one mud puddle.
Apart from that thumbs up to the Lido ground crew. They even insisted on reducing the number of passengers to decrease the fees „no, not four passengers, we count only adults“, so all in all very friendly service.

EDAQ, Germany

Other then this, fly-in was ok, we met some old friends, some new and we had two incredible days in Venice and Murano; we spent least time on Lido. Although efficient, Venice water bus seems pretty expensive to me – a trip to Venice and a trip to Murano costed us the same as fuel from LDVA to LIPV and back. Accommodation at Lido was ok but comparing to Croatia, lower quality for higher price. Same with food but one has to accept that Italy is generally more expensive than Croatia.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Great reports the Super Cub would have been happy in the soft ground but less happy dodging IMC :)

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

And one more comment: my landing & handling fee was 111 EUR which seems to be little bit excessive for grass airfield and two days of parking on grass (with associated problems described above). E.g. landing, handling and parking at Bergamo (regular big international airport) is less than that – I used to pay between €80 and €100. Can others who were at LIPV (or who landed there in the past) comment and share their experience?

Last Edited by Emir at 20 May 16:27
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

It appears to be on the high side of the price lottery.
TB20 last year for 3 nights 85eur +/-
This guy paid 100eur for 4 nights in a C210: EDDH Pireps for LIPV

But some posters already comment about the random fee finding process.

If you go there you know it is not cheap, same as Cannes… or LBWN Varna, where I will tomorrow pay more than you did (but knew before)

EDM_, Germany

Cheaper than damned Easyjet who have just cancelled most flights, so we are coming back on BA leaving at midnight. There seems to be no good reason other than a strike by the Italians tomorrow, so I will go for the max compensation possible.

This proves that GA is the best way to travel

However, today one would have had to come back via Colmar or similar, and then back up via France

I wonder if there is anything significant in this, which could have affected IFR GA also

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Aeroporto_Nicelli_pdf
This what I paid 4 years ago for a DA40

Jean
EBST, Belgium

I still think Lido was a great choice for a fly in. As I see it, the problem was not the runway (for most), but the en route weather, which would have eliminated the VFR visitors at any choice, including asphalt with approaches. I know I could have figured out a way to get in, but work didn’t allow me to leave early on Friday as I had hoped. And I thought “ this is supposed to be fun, not a chore,” and I have learned to accept what weather dictates. So I decided to stay home. This does not make the choice the wrong one. We just had bad luck with weather.

BTW my original plan was to fly in the weekend before & and arrive by a commercial flight. But for various reasons, I returned the plane to Urbe, rather than Lido the weekend before our fly in. I know the high terrain betweenRome and Venice all too well, could have done it, especially routing along the Adriatic coast (but I needed to get there over high ground first) and just didn’t feel like it given the TAFs. The more I fly, the more risk averse I become. Many situations I’ve dealt with, but sometimes I just don’t feel like repeating it. Had the weather been better,I would have gone with pleasure.

Tököl LHTL

I still think Lido was a great choice for a fly in.

I’m not sure I can share this opinion. With 4 aircrafts in total and 13 people (some came with CAT and some with car/boat) I can’t say it was massive gathering However, we had great time and I don’t regret my choice to come. It was a bit stressful on departure for me but at the end it was another valuable experience.

I’m aware that weather ruined many plans and it was better not to come than to be under pressure to depart in bad conditions in case one couldn’t be flexible on extending trip in case of VFR flights. But instrument approach would at least enable few more IFR pilots to come without fear of not being able to land (even on Saturday) or not being able to depart. Apart of some light turbulence and possible some light icing the weather couldn’t be classified as hazardous. There were many time windows enabling safe flying on-top with avoiding build-ups in all directions on Sunday.

With idea of including everyone who wants (or is limited to) flying to grass runway, we excluded practically everybody in case of less than perfect weather.

Last Edited by Emir at 20 May 22:58
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Today would have been challenging for getting back to the UK, from Mali Losinj

The others got back Sunday/Monday but they went back east of the bad wx.

The wx continues to improve but too late.

We got shafted by Easyjet yesterday who delayed several times and then cancelled. We got back on BA well after midnight. We will definitely go for the 2x€600 claim. They appear to have done it because the Italians (not sure of the extent; could be just Venice airport) are on strike today.

GA is clearly the superior means of transport OTOH if there is an enroute airspace issue (e.g. an ATC strike) then GA gets screwed as well; that didn’t appear to be the case yesterday.

Venice would have been a good choice for a fly-in at short notice, say 3 days ahead, but then almost nobody will arrive. The most you will get is 1 or 2 aircraft. The way it gets so extremely muddy makes it unsuitable for many aircraft types. I know, for example, that if a fly-in is suggested to a grass destination, practically all Mooney pilots immediately drop out, so they must know something…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message