Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Holiday at Grado, what airfield other than Trieste LIPQ?

Hi everyone, I planned some days at Grado, north east of Italy, this August and I’m facing a challenge as LIPQ (Trieste Ronchi airport) doesn’t accept any aircraft other than the scheduled airline ones for July and August. They clearly told me to not plan to go there.
I’ll fly a Piper PA28-236 Dakota with 4 people on board.
I saw Gorizia (LIPG) as an alternative, as well as Divaca (LJDI) in Slovenia (very close to Trieste), but the latter I’d like to avoid as I’m concerned about continuously changing rules due to COVID, so I would prefer an Italian airfield.
It seems at LIPG you can land only one way, does anyone have any experience with that field?
Any other suggestion? I would rent a car so I can drive to Grado but not very keen to drive for longer than the flight ;)

Thanks!

EHLE LIMB, Netherlands

No, LIPG is indeed your best (=least bad) alternative. Yes, landing is allowed only on 09. But takeoffs (up to 1.5 tons MTOW) are allowed in both directions. So I wouldn‘t be worried about that.

Note that you will have to go to town to pick up a rental car somewhere. Please also note you won‘t get fuel at Gorizia, so you will also gave to sort this problem out.

I feel for you. LIPQ never embraced GA much, but now they kicked GA out completely… idiots.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Something is really weird when they have built expensive infrastructure for airplanes and you are refusing airplanes to land there… what a waste.
(I know it is the same in every country.)

ESSZ, Sweden

This is incredible stupidity. I’ve landed at Trieste a number of times, although some years ago. Big airport. Do they really have so much traffic now?

I would go to Portoroz LJPZ. Very friendly, very well organised, everything works.

There is an airfield map on the EuroGA airport database.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I do agree with Peter,
Porttoz is en excellent airport. GA friendly and good price for 100LL.
If you like to stay in Italy you should consider smaller airfield like:
“Aviosuperficie Trivignano” (UD09 skydemon),
“Ali Caorle” LIKE (you can sleep at the field if you need) very friendly.
“Piancada Airfield” (UD10 skydemon).

Call before landing to be sure you can have a rental car available or a taxi to reach your final destination.

Have fun
Diego

LILE, Italy

I would second LJPZ, but understand the concerns.

Been to Gorizia recently, though, and it is an easy going, friendly airfield. Long, well maintained grass runway. And they offer affordable hangar space for a few nights.

They might be able to organize a rental with pickup at LIPG…

Last Edited by ch.ess at 19 Jul 16:07
EDM_, Germany

Thank you everyone!
I think I’ll go to Gorizia, planning an additional fuel stop (probably at Venezia Lido) on the way back.

Will contact them today to see if they can help arranging some logistics.

EHLE LIMB, Netherlands

Why would you possibly take fuel at Venice ?
Money to spare ?
Not knowing your fuel capacity or routing, but either one of LJPZ, LIDT, LOLS, EDMY, EDMK would each save you a bit or quite a bit per liter avgas…

EDM_, Germany

That’s right, it doesn’t make a lot of sense… I’d call it “passenger’s pressure” to have lunch in Venice…
I still have the right to say no, will see…:)

EHLE LIMB, Netherlands

For Venice itself, the usual place is San Nicolo LIPV.

We did a meetup there in 2019 but it got washed out The place is definitely not suitable if there has been recent rain, for most “tourer types”.

You can also fly to Padova LIPUEuroGA database – and get an easy train into Venice.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
11 Posts
Sign in to add your message