Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EuroGA is doing a trip around Europe

The following might be just a crazy idea, but I‘m really interested in your opinion.

I suggest doing a multiple fly-in in each member state of the European Union. I did a rough planing, as you can see in the picture below. Over all, doing it with my Beech it will be a flying time between 40 to 50 hours.

Some of you might be interested to fly the whole trip, like I would do, others might only join for one or several legs. So it will be very individual how it will be done. All in all all I think, to do the whole flight a time window of 3 to 4 weeks is needed, regarding the fact, that not everybody would be interested to do all the way flying on top IR. I would prefer doing it VFR most of the time to get pictures of the changing landscapes all over Europe.

The idea behind the flight is, to comunicate that the General Aviation in Europe is a vivid thing, there are pilots in every country who enjoy and need the freedom to fly without borders and burocratic hurdles due of business and leisure. Also it might be an interesting way to promote EuroGA.

To make this flight possible and to create a interest in the media several things are to be done:

• Plan the final route with the support of the locals here in the forum. I think in each country there must be an airfield with perfect or minimum good support for the GA. There must be Avgas and Jet A1 available and immigration and customs should be possible.
  • In each country the local media (TV, press, flying magazines, bloggers,…) should be invited to join on the date of the fly-in.
  • We should use the contacts of IAOPA in each country, maybe we find some active members here.
  • We could invite organizations like Wingly to support us and to offer passenger seats to share costs.
  • We should look for some sponsors like Jeppesen, Garmin, AirBP, Total, RocketRoute etc. to get support by them and to promote the flight.
  • And we have to prepare some (political) statements to be prepared for interviews in advance and during the flight.

Now I hope you will discuss this idea. And if there is a real interest to do this flight and/or the participate in organisation, I will go forward with the organisation.

EDDS , Germany

I am already taking a lot of aviation related holidays (over 2 weeks, with Svalbard and the CRI course), but could be interested in a UK → Portugal leg (either direct, with a twin, or broken in 2 with a stop in france, like I did a couple yeast ago in a DA40NG).

eddsPeter wrote:

in each member state of the European Union

So better be quick in case of the UK
I’m interested for Germany and the adjacent countries.

EDLE
in each member state of the European Union

Iceland is a bit off track, but what’s wrong with the other EASA/non-EU countries Norge and Schweiz ? seems they could easily be included

huv
EKRK, Denmark

I would be interested to join another pilot / other pilots with the same plane. Optimally it would be one where every pilot on board is type rated and each pilot would fly some legs. Shared costs, learning from others’ experience, more fun. If such a possibility appears, it could work for me for at least part of the route.

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

eddsPeter wrote:

The following might be just a crazy idea, but I‘m really interested in your opinion.

You’re crazy… but I love the idea.
While I wonder if the long trip should not be broken into shorter ones thus having different fly-ins which together would make a tour of Europe.
I think would be more manageable for the organization.
Anyway, I am interested in BE and adjacent countries.

jfw
Belgium: EBGB (Grimbergen, Brussels) - EBNM (Namur), Belgium

Brilliant idea!

I have never done Romania, Bulgaria, Portugal, Cyprus, Malta, Iceland, or the former USSR.

However for a UK based pilot some of these are quite a way out…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

If I owned or could rent a plane for 4 weeks and when my IR is done, I would love the idea.

Concerning the tour’s length, an alternative could be to break it down to say 3 segments flown 3 consecutive years (I understand this is unpractical for reaching the corners of the EU).
Another to make 3-4 tours with fewer stops but to a different set of countries each year. Say NE-SE-SW-NW sectors for example.
Some of the legs are quite long (LGSA-LMML or LFRA-LEVX), there is a risk to be elitist vs modest/typical PA28/C172 ranges.

All practical details, but I still love the idea.

ESMK, Sweden

Great idea !
I have a name “The EuroGA Tour” (basically the message is Euro+GA+tour)
The idea of aviation connecting people is great and sounds good to any EU supporter. Maybe a bit of green (environmental) stuff will help
If the idea is to celebrate the EU, somebody might ask why so many Brits will be part of it

The message would be :

• aviation is more than a rich man’s hobby
  • airfields are social places where people from anywhere in Europe can meet (so please don’t destroy them for extra malls)
  • Schengen make GA so much easier (and maybe a Schengen GAR would be a good idea)
  • EuroGA is an amazing forum (to explain each country’s particularities) !
  • and maybe a specific message to each country (like customs checks in Greece or the flugleiter in Germany)

As said above, in terms of practical feasability, it is very ambitious, almost elitist as said above.
I think sponsors are the only way to go on this kind of project (let’s not appear a rich men’s club rightaway).
Even flying say a third of the trip would be a huge undertaking (
Maybe only a handful of aircraft may do the full tour and each stop could be a fly-in dedicated to each particular country.

I can help for the French part. But I can’t make it in 2018 and maybe not in 2019 so …

@eddsPeter, can you post the list of stops you show on the map and the distance of each leg ?

LFOU, France

I‘m glad, that you like this idea and that you are delivering so valuable input. Thank you.

@JujuPilote I didn‘t put all the choosen airfield names in detail, to avoid that the discussion about this airfields will start immediately like in other posts. I have only chosen some of them to check if it is possible to do the different countries in suitable legs and in a time which will be manageable.

Finally I hope that some of the locals who will support the trip and are willing to support the organisation will suggest the best fields allways having the big picture in mind. But here is the list.

The distance of the several legs varies between 50 NM and 593 NM. Most of the legs are between 150 NM to 350 NM.

I‘m looking forward to some further opinions and suggestions.

EDDS , Germany
24 Posts
Sign in to add your message