Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

FAA ATP no longer accessible to private pilots

Why be an FAA ATP?

It means zilch in Europe unless one has an EASA ATP as well – as things stand. And then only if one wants to be paid for LHS public transport work.

It does mean one can call oneself “Captain” but most examples I have seen of such pilots in the light GA scene were comical. Even more so if the ATP is only single engine.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Insurance and conversion options.

Last Edited by JasonC at 27 Jun 13:39
EGTK Oxford

Insurance and conversion options.

Can you post some information, Jason?

Last Edited by Peter at 27 Jun 13:50
Administrator

I have been told 10-20% less on insurance if an ATP and it also seems like if I need a European licence, it may be easier with an ATP.

EGTK Oxford

it also seems like if I need a European licence, it may be easier with an ATP

Can you supply information on this, Jason?

I did look through some earlier reg proposals to see whether an FAA CPL gives any advantage (on the basis that, historically, a “professional pilot” qualification has been helpful in grandfathering options) but EASA seemed to have cleverly eliminated any possibility of that. An ICAO ATP didn’t help either.

All that an ICAO ATP helps with right now is the shortcut to HPA, required for turboprops.

Administrator

I agree Peter that is is still not clear but I am hoping that it helps under BASA and with HPA if needed. Obviously I would need that anyway. Am in office so don’t have full details but I took the view that there was no downside in taking the written as an option.

EGTK Oxford

Why be an FAA ATP?
It means zilch in Europe unless one has an EASA ATP as well – as things stand. And then only if one wants to be paid for LHS public transport work.
It does mean one can call oneself “Captain” but most examples I have seen of such pilots in the light GA scene were comical. Even more so if the ATP is only single engine.

Why did you get the FAA CPL Peter?

[formatting fixed]

Last Edited by Peter at 27 Jun 21:24
YPJT, United Arab Emirates

I got it because

• I had a spare day after finishing the IR (in Arizona)
  • I could sit the written exam for $90, so I did and passed it
  • I was able to do the checkride with a nice visiting DPE out of Southend, a couple of months before that option got killed
  • There was a chance of getting some better route through EASA FCL with an ICAO CPL (wrong assumption)
  • You get loads of street cred as a “commercial pilot” (only kidding )

There is a small insurance discount. Hard to estimate because the premium has dropped anyway as my hours went up, but maybe 10-20%, relative to a PPL.

Administrator

Peter said:

Why be an FAA ATP?

Why be an FAA CPL?
It means zilch in Europe unless one has an EASA CPL as well – as things stand. And then only if one wants to be paid for flying.
It does mean one can call oneself “Captain" or “First Officer” but most examples I have seen of such pilots in the light GA scene were comical. Even more so if the CPL is only single engine.

YSCB

Very funny

But I did mine in 2007, when this EASA FCL crap was barely on the horizon, and very few people really thought EASA would have sufficient political capital to force it through.

Also anybody with a good tech knowledge of flying, and with a bit of knowledge of stuff like “holding out”, can pass the FAA CPL exam, without much (or any) study. And the checkride is a purely VFR exercise. Whereas the FAA ATP is significantly more work and the checkride is another (and harder) IR checkride. I was never a believer in doing excessive work

Administrator
Sign in to add your message