Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

FAA IR Currency in Europe via 61.57 - does safety pilot need a FAA certificate?

@NCYankee, yes it seems that you are correct. Thanks for spotting that.

It’s easy to misread the regs if one is not careful: in fact (contrary to what I wrote) 91.1 does not say that part 91 does not apply outside the US, it says that part 91 (mostly) concerns aircraft which are operating in the US:

§91.1
a) Except as provided in paragraphs (b), (c), (e), and (f) of this section and §§ 91.701 and 91.703, this part prescribes rules governing the operation of aircraft within the United States, including the waters within 3 nautical miles of the U.S. coast.

In theory there’s no difference betwe...
ME-03, Italy

Peter wrote:

If you edit your post now you will see what I did with the quote.

I hate to ask this type of “web support” question but I’ve been desperately trying to find how to edit one of my posts (so that I can correct some of the mis-information I posted) to no avail. How does one do it?

ME-03, Italy

There is a 2hr edit window, after which the Edit button disappears. If you email me the desired changes, or complete new text, I am happy to drop them in for you.

However if you just post an update, anyone reading the thread will see it. This is normal – it is how debates evolve

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thank you Peter.

I would like to add the following sentence at the end of my original question, so that folks who are looking for a quick answer can read it and move on. Maybe wait a few days to see if anybody strongly disagrees with the conclusions I’m drawing and then drop it in there.

Edit: the answer appears to be that the safety pilot must have either an FAA private pilot certificate or greater (as per 14 CFR 91.109c(1)), or a private pilot license issued by the (ICAO) country in which the flight is being performed (as per 14 CFR 61.3).

PS. Sorry, I had again missed your email. I had briefly managed to get Pushover to work, despite my gmail not receiving any post notifications. Then I thought I’d change my email address to a non-gmail address to see if I could get the email notifications too and I’m afraid I broke it. :-/. At this point I’m inclined to change my email back to my gmail address and rely on Pushover notifications.

ME-03, Italy

Edit done.

I don’t know what the problem with gmail is. EuroGA generates a relatively small number of notifications but obviously they all look similar i.e. machine-generated. The Pushover problem is something else…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
55 Posts
Sign in to add your message