Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EASA IR -> PIGGY BACK FAA IR

HI,

I have JAA PPL/IR and live in Sweden.

I have been flying a couple times VFR in the US on a "piggy back" FAA PPL. At that time i did not have an IR.

I was thinking of adding that to my FAA license next time i go there. Does anyone here have experience with this process?

Can anybody confirm this process?

1. Re-apply again for a license as the first time from home 3 months in advance, but adding the Instrument Rating in the application.
  2. Do a IFP- "instrument Rating for foreign Pilots" theory test in the USA. (Do i need ground school diploma? Such as King Shools/Sportys?)
  3. Go to the FAA/FSDO office and show the passed test results etc and get a new temporary license with IR.
  4. Do an Instrument PC

If this is is true. I would probably prepare myself with AviationExam or similar since they have the IFP test in their database. I would probably do a 2-3 days IFR refresher course before the PC (at some sites they say the course replaces the PC). Good for me as a lowtimer and nice to go out with and instructor and get comfortable in the US IFR system.

Any corrections and suggestions about this ?

Thanks in advance :)

Jonas

ESOW Västerås, Sweden

For not a lot of extra effort (TSA Approval required) you could just get a standalone FAA PPL + Instrument....then your FAA privileges are independent of your EASA Licence and medical validity

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

Here is what the regulation says:

...snip

(d) Instrument ratings issued. A person who holds an instrument rating on the foreign pilot license issued by a contracting State to the Convention on International Civil Aviation may be issued an instrument rating on a U.S. pilot certificate provided:

(1) The person's foreign pilot license authorizes instrument privileges;

(2) Within 24 months preceding the month in which the person applies for the instrument rating, the person passes the appropriate knowledge test; and

(3) The person is able to read, speak, write, and understand the English language. If the applicant is unable to meet one of these requirements due to medical reasons, then the Administrator may place such operating limitations on that applicant's pilot certificate as are necessary for the safe operation of the aircraft.

The appropriate knowledge test is the standard one for the Instrument Rating. The easiest way to comply is to take an online course for the test. Completion of the course will earn you a sign off by the course outfit. If there are FAA testing centers nearby, you can take the test before you travel to the USA and all you will have to do is bring your ICAO License, Medical, and your US certificate to a local FSDO office when you arrive. Then you need to obtain currency IAW FAR 61.56 and 61.57.

Here is what it requires:

Sec. 61.65

Instrument rating requirements.

(a) General. A person who applies for an instrument rating must:

...snip

(3) Receive and log ground training from an authorized instructor or accomplish a home-study course of training on the aeronautical knowledge areas of paragraph (b) of this section that apply to the instrument rating sought;

(4) Receive a logbook or training record endorsement from an authorized instructor certifying that the person is prepared to take the required knowledge test;

...snip

(7) Pass the required knowledge test on the aeronautical knowledge areas of paragraph (b) of this section;

...snip

(b) Aeronautical knowledge. A person who applies for an instrument rating must have received and logged ground training from an authorized instructor or accomplished a home-study course on the following aeronautical knowledge areas that apply to the instrument rating sought:

(1) Federal Aviation Regulations of this chapter that apply to flight operations under IFR;

(2) Appropriate information that applies to flight operations under IFR in the "Aeronautical Information Manual;"

(3) Air traffic control system and procedures for instrument flight operations;

(4) IFR navigation and approaches by use of navigation systems;

(5) Use of IFR en route and instrument approach procedure charts;

(6) Procurement and use of aviation weather reports and forecasts and the elements of forecasting weather trends based on that information and personal observation of weather conditions;

(7) Safe and efficient operation of aircraft under instrument flight rules and conditions;

(8) Recognition of critical weather situations and windshear avoidance;

(9) Aeronautical decision making and judgment; and

(10) Crew resource management, including crew communication and coordination.

KUZA, United States

You need to do the 50 question ir tk exam.

Simplest way to train .. Buy the asa book .. You only need the question book. Train those questions .. Learn the specific differences .. Like the meteo and the faa rules about currency and other ir related things. Should not be to difficult.

You can also do it in europe.

Thanks for your comments :)

ESOW Västerås, Sweden

Jonas, I did this process last year. Your point 1is correct, for 2 you need no no paper no certificate, just show up at the proper testing facility (list FAA web - i hope they didn' shut down web servers as well these days ;-) make sure your speak to your test center ahead of time, not all flight school employess are recognised by FAA to let you do the test 3 is correct and your are done. There is no reuirement for any flight with anyone. A bit strange to me, but true. I used aviationexam.com and can honestly say I would not pass IFP without it. Some questions a bit tricky.

LKKU, LKTB

There is no requirement for any flight with anyone. A bit strange to me, but true.

Not so strange, you must already have demonstrated to your local authority that you are a competent IFR pilot and your local country pilot license must be carried with you. All that taking the test does is let you formally review any differences in the US IFR rules and demonstrate a minimum competency level.

If you fly in the US NAS, using your US private pilot certificate issued on the basis of an ICAO pilot license, you still need to meet any flight review and currency requirements of FAR 61.56 and 61.57.

KUZA, United States

You must be current in your Biennaual

And do not forget about FAA currency requirement - which are including holding patterns....

LKKU, LKTB

Thanks!

So if my regular BFR (VFR) is valid i don't need to show my IFR skills? - if i have done within the last 6 months: At least six instrument approaches; Holding procedures; and Intercepting and tracking courses through the use of navigation systems.

or an instrument PC with an FAA instructor.

(http://flash.aopa.org/asf/singlepilotifr/site/html/misc/instrument_currency.cfm).

Jonas

ESOW Västerås, Sweden
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message