Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EASA IR -> PIGGY BACK FAA IR

Opening this thread again to report that I took the test at Cactus Aviation, Henderson, Vegas this week. Went to Las Vegas FSDO with the report and got a new license with Instrument rating :) (temporary license, they took my old plastic card)

Thanks for all the info guys!

Jonas

ESOW Västerås, Sweden

Jonas, you are correct, there is no requirement to demonstrate your IFR skills, you already did that by virtue of having an ICAO IFR License. As you stated, you must be current, but this is not an issue with adding the IFR privilege to your US Private Pilot Certificate issued on the basis of your ICAO License. Since you are current per 61.56 and 61.57, once you have your US IFR added to your certificate, technically you are legal to fly. I am sure that any rental agency will require a checkout and some might have restrictions for using their aircraft under IFR, but that is a commercial matter and not a legal one.

KUZA, United States

To jonas: yep, you are right, that's how I understand it

LKKU, LKTB

Thanks!

So if my regular BFR (VFR) is valid i don't need to show my IFR skills? - if i have done within the last 6 months: At least six instrument approaches; Holding procedures; and Intercepting and tracking courses through the use of navigation systems.

or an instrument PC with an FAA instructor.

(http://flash.aopa.org/asf/singlepilotifr/site/html/misc/instrument_currency.cfm).

Jonas

ESOW Västerås, Sweden

And do not forget about FAA currency requirement - which are including holding patterns....

LKKU, LKTB

You must be current in your Biennaual

There is no requirement for any flight with anyone. A bit strange to me, but true.

Not so strange, you must already have demonstrated to your local authority that you are a competent IFR pilot and your local country pilot license must be carried with you. All that taking the test does is let you formally review any differences in the US IFR rules and demonstrate a minimum competency level.

If you fly in the US NAS, using your US private pilot certificate issued on the basis of an ICAO pilot license, you still need to meet any flight review and currency requirements of FAR 61.56 and 61.57.

KUZA, United States

Jonas, I did this process last year. Your point 1is correct, for 2 you need no no paper no certificate, just show up at the proper testing facility (list FAA web - i hope they didn' shut down web servers as well these days ;-) make sure your speak to your test center ahead of time, not all flight school employess are recognised by FAA to let you do the test 3 is correct and your are done. There is no reuirement for any flight with anyone. A bit strange to me, but true. I used aviationexam.com and can honestly say I would not pass IFP without it. Some questions a bit tricky.

LKKU, LKTB

Thanks for your comments :)

ESOW Västerås, Sweden

You need to do the 50 question ir tk exam.

Simplest way to train .. Buy the asa book .. You only need the question book. Train those questions .. Learn the specific differences .. Like the meteo and the faa rules about currency and other ir related things. Should not be to difficult.

You can also do it in europe.

13 Posts
Sign in to add your message