Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

First flight of year

Grumman Tiger? Looks like …

It’s a Cheetah (AA5A).
The KFD was installed about two years ago.
This plane racks up almost 500 flight hours a year and I haven’t heard of any problems with the KFD whatsoever.
Don’t know how many there are actually in the field.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 09 Jan 18:53
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Quote What plane is that? Not the SR22 clearly…

but relatives – they got the same nosewheel and she even got a KLN 94 which is approved for stand-alone GPS apps … (US reg., annunciator lights, AFMS & 337)

Last Edited by nobbi at 09 Jan 18:20
EDxx, Germany

A Honeywell insider told me they got Crossbow to make the KFD840 for them, but Crossbow suddenly decided to drop it, early 2013. Possibly due to very low sales. It does look nice and uncluttered.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

My first flight this year was last Thursday, a quick one to get some pictures of dartford crossing and put them on this forum
This is only my second flight after the skills test… I haven’t even received my licence yet (instructor signs me off). And yes I read the GNS 250 manual and used it as my primary navigation with DR as backup.
The vis wasn’t that great but it was the only day that week that was ok for VFR around london. The rest of the week it was constant heavy rain. Here’s some pictures.

Part of the lee Valley Reservoir. Apparently is supplies tap water to London.

Dartford bridge, just outsize the london city cta

Overhead (ish) at Elstree on the way back to Denham. Did I say the vis wasn’t great?

The setup on the 152 (club owned)… bet this makes boscomantico jealous eh?

On the way back I had quite some headwind. GPS shows only 62kts ground speed. Took a while to get back to base. Gave me some time to experiment with the VOR. Instructor told me it was playing tricks. It was…
Anyways, great fun! I’ll be back with more pictures from the next trip, hopefully soon.

Last Edited by geekyflyer at 09 Jan 21:13

Nice photos. Keep flying – looks like a tidy 152. Better than half the TB20s I have seen.

EGTK Oxford

My first flight was on Tuesday – an IMCR renewal. Had fortunately done an observed ILS earlier in the year, so did some unusual attitude recovery and then an NDB approach in G35-40knots. How rusty am I on my NDB tracking and how much of it I’d forgotten!

How rusty am I on my NDB tracking and how much of it I’d forgotten!

And what a shame that it is completely irrelevant to real world flying….

EGTK Oxford

Good to see you flying geekflyer. I hadn’t seen a GNS250, looks like it was a leap forward from those purely textual data Garmin GPS sometimes seen in training aircraft.

I’m still waiting to do my first flight this year. Mine is still being re-sprayed, and due to delays, it is then due an annual as soon as it lands back at home. I think my first flight is going to have to be in a rented club aircraft. Still, clocked up about 10 hours on the Concorde Sim and done about 25 NDB holds and ILS approaches on the PA28 sim so its not been completely boring.

Hi Piper, yep the GNS250, while it’s not skydemon, does work nicely. It was my first time using GPS and it does make life much easier!
I have to say… not sure if this is a common theme in aviation GPSes but the human-gps interface is not ideal… who thought that rotating 2 knobs to input characters was a good idea?! I took me a good 15 mins, on the ground, to enter the 6 way points some with coordinates. A small keypad (old phone msg style) would have been much faster IMHO.

The Concorde Sim sounds fun. Where about is that?

Sign in to add your message