Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Fixing a rechargeable torch (lamp) in the aircraft

I have a decent head-mounted one by Energizer (£20 at Halfords). It has three intensity steps of white light and one step of red (which you can use in most cases when white is too bright). Granted, it’s no substitute for a landing light, but for everything else on the ground and in the cockpit it’s been serving me well. It takes 3 AAA cells, which suffice for 20+ hours, and for those who wear belt and braces, the same company makes an AA/AAA charger running off a lighter socket.

Last Edited by Ultranomad at 17 Aug 22:08
LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

The best head mounted torches I have ever seen are from Zebralight in the USA. Unfortunately they are not very available in Europe.

They can be dimmed right down to a very low level.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

For inspection usages I use those with which can dim

Do you have any pointer? For night VFR I’ve been looking for one that can be dimmed, but so far those I’ve seen are still too bright at their minimum.

LSZK, Switzerland

Some give a very high intensity. For inspection usages I use those with which can dim. If they can not dim they tend to give to much light causing over illumination and glare, which actually makes it more difficult to inspect.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Take your pick, I have never used anything else since they came on the market. never had one fail.
Link

UK, United Kingdom

Yes but that is like a thousand others – you have to keep a spare battery kicking around. Some of them are very good though, but the really good ones empty the battery in minutes. Amazing price though!

Last Edited by Peter at 17 Aug 14:29
Administrator

I buy these, half-a-dozen at a time:

Link

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

That’s a very good lead, Jesse. I found a few of them, but unfortunately all are very small and appear to have a single little LED.

This gets closest but has a 5V (USB) charging input, so there is a pretty obvious solution, with a 28V to 5V converter.

Last Edited by Peter at 17 Aug 09:43
Administrator

I have seen very small LED torches which fit and recharge in the lighter socket. They construction seems to be quite good as well.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Why not take a cheapo LED torch and always carry a few replacement batteries in the aircraft? That’s what I do and it works just fine…

11 Posts
Sign in to add your message