Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flight of Passage

I used to read a lot but for reasons unknown the last couple of years have seen me lose the habit and I have seldom progressed beyond the first couple of chapters of most books I have started – until I picked up Flights of Passage (Rinker Buck). Completely absorbing, I found it difficult to put down. Highly recommended.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

True!

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Got it through the post and reading it now – very well written. Coast to Coast in six days in a no radio no electrics and no gyros PA11 is impressive. Also is a great read on the psychology of the two brothers and their relationship to their father, and the period in the USA – 1966, with JFK and the Kennedy’s still setting the tone for the era.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

I’d go along with everything said, I picked up a copy from a 2nd hand book stall a year ago, a great read

Very good book. Will even recommend it to my non-flying friends.

Yes, one of my favorite flying books. (Do you read german Adam?)

I also read it a few months ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. I suspect some of the accounts were a little overdramatised. The Guadaloupe pass isn’t that difficult even in a 65HP Cub.

In a slightly similar vane, I’d also recommend Stephen Coonts’ ‘Cannibal Queen’.

KHWD- Hayward California; EGTN Enstone Oxfordshire, United States

Time for a new book – after Flight of Passage, True North and The Cannibal Queen, are there any recommendations ?

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

I have just finished reading ‘travels with puff’. Same author that wrote Jonathan Livingston seagull. It’s about author ferrying his new seaplane across the US. Pretty good!

I have just finished reading ‘travels with puff’. Same author that wrote Jonathan Livingston seagull. It’s about author ferrying his new seaplane across the US. Pretty good!

Richard Bach also wrote “Nothing by Chance”, which describes a summer of barnstorming in 1969, done as it was in 1929. They announce their biplane’s arrival in town by ejecting the young parachutist, Stu, who is destined for dental school at the end of the summer. A Luscombe follows along. What made that especially interesting to me is that in real life Stu the mild mannered dentist is still flying his own Travel Air biplane regularly 45 years later, and still has a Luscombe too. The events described in the book surely captured his imagination and the book captures the spirit of the planes and what they were doing very nicely.

15 Posts
Sign in to add your message