Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flight to Mallorca and Malaga

Just one little detail to bear in mind re Granada. Unless the situation has changed, you go through the normal security checks, same as the pax. So perhaps leave your Leatherman in the airplane!

Other than that, second the above re less hassle than LEAX. And while you’re there, find/make time to visit the Alhambra, an amazing marvel of Moorish architecture!

Arun wrote:

That’s why I think LEGR (Granada) is a better option for visiting Andalusia.

My experience with Granada was great, cheap landing, no handling, cheap parking, helpful and very responsive people, acceptable fuel price. And car rental at the airport was smooth and fast.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

@Bluebird. the link works for me. I pulled it by googling ‘car rental velez malaga’.
My experience of renting a car in Malaga is that if you don’t select the bigger names—Goldcar, Centauro, etc—-you might get a sub-standard car.
You’re right. LEAX is not so accessible. That’s why I think LEGR (Granada) is a better option for visiting Andalusia. By car, it takes 1.5 hrs to get to Malaga, just 40 min more than from LEAX and a lot less hassle.

EDMB, Germany

Arun

What is “rental car caleta” at Velez Malaga? The link doesnt work. Googling it does not turn up a rental car at Velez Malaga. I have been to LEAX many times, and may go there after the Carcassonne meeting. The big problem with LEAX is that it is in the middle of nowhere. Last time I got a taxi from the airfield to Torre del Mar on the coast and rented a car to go to Marbella. Unfortunately this turned out to be a junk car, with a lot of mechanical problems. If there is somewhere reliable to rent a car in Velez Malaga that would be much better.

Bluebeard
EIKH, Ireland

Thanks for your recommendations. Mor than I expected!!!
Think I will either choose LEAX or LEGR depening on the weather.
After your responds and what I already read, malaga does not seem to be that attractive…

@ Aart – will be landing in Son Bonet on Sat 14. MAY will send you a message a couple of days before…

EDMA

I went to Malaga and they forced me into mandatory handling because of the wingspan of the DA42. It was around 250 euros IIRC. But this info is 4 years old..

Granada airfield is nice and hassle-free, no obligatory handling. Like Peter said, it may be a good idea to go there and hire a car. Very scenic drive to Malaga, especially the in-land route.

When do you plan to stop in Son Bonet? Can I invite you for a cup of coffee? Mind the fuel hours: 10:00-14:00 and 17:00-19:00, local times.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

No problem Peter, but it seems I gave some wrong impressions. The activity at LEAX is due to many student pilots either learning or building their hours.

EDMB, Germany

Thank you for the update, Arun. It’s great to hear there is good GA activity down there. I have been to a good number of Spanish airports, only to see no activity at all, and it got less and less in recent years.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Well, I am learning at LEAX. So, I can confirm that it has both AvGas and Jet-A fuel. The Piper I fly has a Diesel engine.
The runway is a bit more than 900m. If I can land within that distance, surely you can land your DA-42 there ;-)

Yes, it takes almost 50 min to drive to Malaga. I haven’t done it but I guess one can contact this company Velez-Malaga (LEAX’s city) to ask about the rental with airport-pickup: http://rentacarcaleta.com.

The fuel guy comes around 9:30am and is there until 5-6pm. There is always some activity as long as the weather is VFR. And yes, you make radio calls in Spanish, but everyone responds to English as well.

EDMB, Germany

AOPA Spain used to have a very nice guide on their internet page, which explained how to minimize the cost of handling. Unfortunately, this has been pulled.
In a nutshell, when you contact a handling for your PPR, make sure you state that you want “minimum handling only, as required by regulation”.

Malaga has a truckload of different handling agents. Contact a few and see how replies swiftly and with reasonable prices.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message