Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying a light aircraft in Europe under instrument rules - a question?

I would be grateful for someone to answer the following question:
must a light aircraft still be equipped both with an ADF and a DME to fly under instrument rules in EU ?

Last Edited by ANTEK at 06 Dec 06:44
YSCB

In UK controlled airspace under IFR the answer is yes – the table on page 257 of CAP393 applies.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

In Germany yes for the DME, the ADF is only requiered for NDB Approaches

In UK controlled airspace under IFR the answer is yes – the table on page 257 of CAP393 applies.

It is a great rule. That ADF is so handy when being RADAR vectored by London Control and then given direct to a waypoint over the Channel.

EGTK Oxford

It is a great rule.

Yes. Luckily the rule dosen’t say the ADF must be working, otherwise 90 percent of light aircraft couldn’t continue to fly IFR including almost every trainer I have ever flown on

EDDS - Stuttgart

In Germany yes for the DME….

Can a GNSS certificated for use as a primary navigational aid under IFR (e.g. a"146" installation) be substituted for a DME ?

Last Edited by ANTEK at 06 Dec 08:51
YSCB

UK – not any more for enroute. See here under Required Equipment.

DME is mandatory for IFR in most places.

An “interested person” can research this by looking at each country’s ENR GEN 1.5 – example. In this Swedish example, for IFR equipment you are redirected to ENR 1.3

which requires ADF, DME and other stuff

I did a bit of this research for PPL/IR in 2005 but quickly gave up because it would take for ever to do.

There is no known enforcement of the equipment carriage regs. If there was, many/most SR22s would have been busted and that’s just the starting point.

Last Edited by Peter at 06 Dec 14:17
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Can a GNSS certifacted for use as a primary navigational aid under IFR (e.g. a"146" installation) be substituted for a DME ?

AFAIK not.

EDDS - Stuttgart

CZ – you do not need ADF (as long as you are not to fly NDB approach). Can´t answer DME not remembering the AIC number ;-)

LKKU, LKTB

The required equipment should be in each country’s AIP under ENR GEN 1.5.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
31 Posts
Sign in to add your message