Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying an approach OCAS without a clearance - France

1/ Every IR qualified pilot must be english proficient per Part-FCL regulation (enforced since 2017 during IR revalidation in France)
2/ ATC will usually suggest the second IFR traffic to hold while the first one performs the approch. But we already discussed that in another topic.

ATC should advise the crew when control service is no longer provided “control service terminated”.
This is sometime forgotten I guess.

In case of doubt, ask the ATS unit.

Last Edited by Guillaume at 08 Apr 22:13

“This is sometime forgotten I guess.”

I guess the same is forgotten by pilots as well: if a pilot requests “vector or traffic service in class G”, he should not be flying his own headings/levels without telling anyone (altough he is allowed to do that)

Last Edited by Ibra at 08 Apr 22:27
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Interesting input Guillaume about ELP being required for the IR. That conflicts with Jim’s post I linked above saying there are multi thousand hour IR pilots in France without ELP.

Still, the pilot can choose to speak French, can’t he, even citing that old French law saying he must

The rest is clear and is as I thought it would be. “Control service terminated” was not spoken but I was told I was OCAS.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Airborne_Again wrote:

I recall once hearing a foreign bizjet on approach to an AFIS airport in Sweden repeatedly asking “confirm I’m cleared to land” to which the AFISO every time (correctly) replied “runway free”. Eventually the exasperated AFISO said “runway free means clear to land” – which of course it does not, but that reply was probably the best under the circumstances. :-)

I’m more used to “Land at (your) own discretion” than “runway free”. Isn’t that also more official (ICAO) phraseology?

ELLX

lionel wrote:

I’m more used to “Land at (your) own discretion” than “runway free”. Isn’t that also more official (ICAO) phraseology?

As far as I know there is no ICAO phraseology for AFIS. At least there is none in PANS-ATM which has all the ATC phraseology.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
25 Posts
Sign in to add your message