Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying instrument approaches which are no longer published

Following the discussion here I wonder what is the danger in doing that.

But a GPS approach will still work of course. It won’t be in the GPS database anymore but you can enter user waypoints (carefully verified) to re-create it.

Then it comes down to obstacles which appear subsequently but I wonder how often this happens – especially at your base which you are very familiar with.

The other main difference is that you won’t get automatic GPS full scale sensitivity switching, to 1nm at 30nm radius and then to 0.3nm gradually after the FAF. You will have to set the 1nm manually and then set the 0.3nm once established on the FAT (final approach track). I wonder if there are GPSs on which accessing this setting is difficult.

The funny Q is whether such an approach can be logged for currency

I have a selection of no-longer published IAPs, and some were never published because they were approved for use by one operator e.g. a King Air air ambulance operating into an airfield which never had the (UK required) full ATC; such an IAP was the “intellectual property” of that operator. Usually you find the local schools have it and use it for IMCR training

A navaid is (usually) removed, or if it is working the service contract on it is likely no longer paid up so it may work or not. But you can still fly the surveyed and published profile with a GPS which is what almost everybody was doing originally anyway…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

This is exactly why I was trying to find a GPS where you could manually add an approach to the database. A few Czech aerodromes used to have IAPs when in military use but were downgraded to VFR when converted to civilian use (LKHK Hradec Králové, LKPO Přerov and others). Some schools use these IAPs (or self-designed ones) for training purposes in VMC.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

I do this at EGBE. All IA have been withdrawn but they are still in the Jepp database. In effect, I let the G1000 fly the NDB approach on GPS (I do have an ADF installed) I have used the old published hold to descend through an overcast or use the DTY direct. I have not yet been in IMC at platform altitude. I cant see any issue with this, as its my home base and can confirm the terrain remains the same and no additional obstacles have been built on approach, and the CT NDB is still in operation. I would perhaps not fly that approach to the previous published minimas maybe 1000 AGL.

EGBE (COVENTRY, UK)

Rob2701 wrote:

I would perhaps not fly that approach to the previous published minimas maybe 1000 AGL.

Flying down to 1000’ AGL is not even an approach, merely a cloudbreak :-)

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

There are old pilots and bold pilots……

EGBE (COVENTRY, UK)

For some hidden gems I can recommend MILAIP here The approaches are usually not published in Jeppesen but can be a lot of fun like ETNG Frisbee Approach (my IFR checker sent me there regularly for years) et. al.

EDLN and EDKB

Peter wrote:

The funny Q is whether such an approach can be logged for currency

Just before Manston [EGMH] closed I ensured that I kept a copy of the Garmin memory card (and plates) of the RNAV approaches there.
I often fly these and, using the old memory card, it ensures that my Garmin does get down to 0.3nm scale.
I never go below 500’ but it allows me to enact the MAP to GOPAN where I can practise the hold ad infinitum all for free.
Under the FAA 6/6 rule for keeping an IR current it specifies that one should include ‘holds’ (in the plural) within the last 6 months to remain current. It does not specify that these must be attached to a (current) procedure – since one could be asked to ‘hold’ enroute and not necessarily at a hold ‘as published’ – and these would surely count.
I have always assumed, therefore, that the holds I do at Manston can be credited and have logged them as such.
I have, though, never counted my Manston ‘approaches’ as being loggable since it is no longer a published procedure.
This means that most of the approaches I do during the previous 6 months – to make up my running totlal of 6 – are to a full stop. [In fact, as posted previously, I have never done a ‘Missed’ for real in 18 years of IR flying; whenever I have done one, it has always been for practice.]

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message