Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying longer trips with a female without a comfort stop / in-flight toilet options

A lot of points on this thread deal with the number 1 inconvenience, but what about the number 2 issue? What do people do to mitigate that? For me a large Indian curry the night before would be foolish. If I am doing something over a few hours, I generally eat very light the night before, equally light in the morning, and maybe take a banana and drink liquid more as a necessity, than a luxury.

In the PA46 there is a pee tube… never tried to see if it fits …

There is a more basic issue which hasn’t been mentioned yet: what if a passenger absolutely refuses to pee into whatever device is provided, and demands that you land. This has happened to several people I know.

If the weather is clear, or if there are icing conditions below but the 0C level is well above the MSA so a landing “should” be doable safely, I would refuse to land. It’s a big waste of time and if there is weather we would all be stuck at that place until the weather clears up, and anyway they had been briefed on the arrangements and had a chance to refuse to fly. And the facilities are hardly onerous… it comes down to embarrassment only.

But maybe this is easier said than done? None of the people in question will ever fly with you again, and knowing how the aviation community sometimes works, will probably spread the word.

but what about the number 2 issue?

Tricky, that one

I think one needs to stick to simple good quality food the night before. Avoid

• takeaways
  • currys
  • cold seafood
  • cold meat
  • any kind of buffet meat products (I would rather eat a crappy chocolate bar than buffet meat, having been ill on it many times at conferences etc)
  • pastries and other products containing meat that are kept warm for hours
  • eggs
  • any food which you are not used to

My worst ever cases of food poisoning were (a) a Dominos pizza (at Daventry) on which both of us were ill and (b) raw oysters (at a pub in Ditching, Sussex, which afterwards added a stupid warning on their “seafood” menu). Both were very evident within hours, however.

Most flights go early morning, because you get the best wx then. However, with proper food poisoning one normally gets ill long before the morning. So it really comes down to not eating some crap for breakfast.

If somebody did need to do a #2, it may not be possible to land soon enough. It could easily take 30-60 mins to get on the ground. I have a system which I hope will never get used, whereby one would do it into a zip seal plastic bag, then put that and any other stuff into another such bag, and you also have heavy duty hand wipes (they come in a sealed pack) and disposable gloves. I carry loads of the gloves anyway, for doing the maintenance. I think it would work.

But the best thing is to eat decent food and, dare I say it, in the long term eat food which keeps you “regular”. That means lots of vegs (3/4 of the plate should be veg) and little or no red meat

In 12 years of doing long trips I have never had the slightest “loo problem” with any passenger.

I’ve been told by owners of large planes which do have a loo that the very last thing you want anybody to be doing is a #2 in that loo, because it stinks the whole plane out, and unless the loo is externally serviceable (only the bigger bizjets have that) it is very messy to deal with it after landing (definitely a 1st officer / frozen ATPL hour builder job).

In the PA46 there is a pee tube… never tried to see if it fits

I don’t think it’s meant to “fit” – it’s a funnel

PA46 owners I have spoken to say you don’t want to use that facility because it stinks like hell afterwards, unless it is all washed out thoroughly. Being a pressurised hull, it isn’t just a simple pipe going outside.

Last Edited by Peter at 18 Aug 19:01
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Well, in this case it was clearly useful to bring the wife along:

Scallops anyone?

Nr 2? One of the Antonovs I used to fly had a railway type drop toilet. No, it was not something Antonov deviced but which was a “non STC” mod But nevertheless very effective.

Come to think of it, the AN2 actually fulfills a lot of the requirements some people here have listed as a “spouse transport”. It is roomy, usually has a toilet in any pax version and comes in some versions equipped like a biz jet. Also cheap to buy but you better have access to cheap Avgas.

Here’s a German one with a lovely cabin

And here’s a Swiss one.

This Polish one has a full size toilet.

And a pretty nice cabin…

I suppose this could impress some of the reluctant partners…

I seem to remember a Twin Commanche which did have a chemical camping loo installed where usually the 3rd seat row would be. As that particular airplane had 15 hours endurance, I reckon a wise idea. Otherwise, I have done even scheduled services of more than 6 hours without having to go for Nr 2 and I think with a bit of preplanning, it should be possible for most people to go before or after. Food poisoning in a small plane is in any case a good reason to do a precautionary diversion to the nearest suitable airport. Neither vomit nor diareah is a good thing to have in a small plane.

If some passenger ever FORCED me to land at any airfield to go to the toilet, I’d most probably comply for safety reasons, but he would have to make his own way home. I do not care one bit for people on board who interfere with a flight crew, not even (or particularly not) on a SEP four seater.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

On the first issue, you must land, whatever, pardon the pun but I would tell them to piss off. If it were a pee only.

Now, number 2’s. whole different kettle of fish. That would be excruciating, and thank God, I have never been in that situation. I once met a guy, who swore, that on long flights he wore a giant pamper. I thought he was winding me up, but maybe…….

I cannot imagine, flying along, whilst doing your business into a nappy, or whatever. Declare an emergency would be the only option, only to be put in the bloody hold, whilst they queried your emergency. How on earth could you tell them.

I move along in the hope that it never happens to me, or any of my poor passengers.

Mind you if Paula Radcliffe can do it live on TV, them throw it on the ground without even a poop and scoop in evidence, then who are we to quibble..

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

With a wife and two daughters, I find that up to 3.5 hours is possible. They are well briefed, prepared and appreciate that toilet stops aren’t easily arranged. I doubt if any of them would consider using something onboard.

But the speed with which they can find the toilets after landing has to be seen to be believed.

Trips where there is something to see, stay and/or enjoy are appreciated more.

FlyerDavidUK, PPL & IR Instructor
EGBJ, United Kingdom

We have RoadBag and LadyBag on board but most for me and the kids. Wife is trained and certified for 6 hours non-stop flights. Always the bird needs AVGAS than the crew a stop. I also hate usless stops.

EDAZ

PA46 owners I have spoken to say you don’t want to use that facility because it stinks like hell afterwards, unless it is all washed out thoroughly. Being a pressurised hull, it isn’t just a simple pipe going outside.

Actually while I ban its use, at altitude the delta means any fluid inserted is evacuated quickly and is ice crystals before exiting. I never noticed a smell in others’ aircraft. It is a tube with a lever that exposes the tube to ambient pressure.

The “advantage” of a Meridian over a Mirage is that we run out of fuel in 4.25 hours so range with reserves means no more than 3.5 hours between toilet breaks.

Last Edited by JasonC at 19 Aug 00:26
EGTK Oxford

PA46 owners I have spoken to say you don’t want to use that facility because it stinks like hell afterwards

It is not that bad, in fact that thing works very well but that is no permanent solution. In my eye it is for ferry flights or emergencies only. As Jason writes it uses the cabin pressurization to create suction in the tube. So it should not be used at low level when the cabin is not pressurized. Second the fluid can cause corrosion on the aircraft belly so you should have a big bottle of water and pour that through the tube directly after use. And finally using it with more than two people on bord might be stange. If you are just two one crawls to the back and has got some privacy but with passengers in the back?

So in real life apart from ferry flights I think you should limit your legs to around 3h. I think there is no real GA plane with any acceptable solution suitable for regular use by normal passengers. Even the small bizjets have emergency style equipment only. For regular use you probably need an airline solution with plumbing etc.

So the best thing you can do to extend your range is to buy a faster plane

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ
Sign in to add your message