Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying through frontal weather (IFR)

That is why you should have a way out, being either to fly lower at above zero temps or to turn around. To climb is another option, but many GA aircraft do not have a lot of climb power available, so that the turn around option would be better. If you cannot get rid of the ice because of the freezing level being too low or on the ground, then you might get a problem you cannot solve.

Better option when flying IFR is to get a FIKI system. But still then, you have to watch out and be cautious.

EDLE, Netherlands

I was looking for a way to get information while airborne about convective activity.
Would a piece of equipment such as the GSR 56 be useful?

The GSR 56 gives you access to on-demand global weather

With the GSR 56, you can finally enjoy the safety-enhancing benefits of on-demand satellite weather when operating internationally. World Wide Weather data includes Meteorological Aviation Reports (METARs) that provide current temperature, dew point, precipitation, wind speed and more, as well as Terminal Aerodrome Forecasts (TAFs) that show predicted weather for up to 30 hours in advance. Throughout most of Europe, Canada and the U.S., the GSR 56 can also receive high resolution radar imagery, which displays in full color on the G3000™, G1000® and G600, G500 and G500H series’ displays. Additional radar coverage areas are being added continuously.

Paris, France

Piotr, have a look at the ADL120

There is a thread here which discusses the use of the ADL120 for weather avoidance….

The Garmin GSR 56 is of little use, as the WX radar satellite can’t be received in Europe…

Last Edited by lenthamen at 31 Jul 08:27

The Garmin GSR 56 is of little use, as the WX radar satellite can’t be received in Europe…

I need to correct myself here: I was confused with XM WX Sattelite weather, which is US only.
The GSR 56 uses Iridium Satellite and has radar coverage for Western Europe.

Short Post flight Briefing from yesterdays IFR flight
Flew through some frontal weather @ FL100 yesterday on my return flight Hungary to Belgium (EBST). I took off from LHSM Balaton Heviz airport. A very nice friendly service 12 euro landing fee and 12 euro for the ILS approach and fuel for 1.6/L euro ex VAT). I took off at 10AM local time before the rain came in from the south (Zagreb ACC was flooded yesterday and the ACC centre was down) ….I took a a lot of time to study the weather charts and all what is available to monitor the trends..).Freezing level was at FL110
I was in IMC from Vienna till Austrian German Border with a smooth ride in clouds then things got a bit more shaky btw Nuremberg and Frankfurt after that that the Hi pressure influence moving eastwards improved things significantly. Fog/low clouds where predicted over the Ardennes and I was prepared to go to my alternate (EBLG) to shoot an ILS approach but things improved significatly the last half hour of my flight (ATIS EBLG), I prefer also morning flight in Summer as in the afternoon the clouds become CB’s and in conjunction with frontal weather things start cooking fast..) I have a non turbo aircraft but I am wondering if a Turbo without FIKI is an added value?
When the transatlantic weather hits the Alps around Linz I several times had the experience that staying lower is a better solution then flying high specially in the Donau valley with Mountains left and right Czech and Austria ..Turbo would not be of any help here with tops way over 25K Feet being over the Mountains and in icing is not a place I would like to be…). With respect to frontal weather I don’t mind flying through rain or some turbulence (I reduce to below manoeuvrings speed, with pax is different story…
The WX1000E with NAV mode is a fantastic tool however having SAT weather available would be great to avoid the most heavy precip….(seriously thinking on adding the ADL solution, before even replacing my old KLN90B…)..
When temperatures are getting lower in Autumn, Winter things may look different tough when not be able to stay above min ENR altitude…

Last Edited by Vref at 31 Jul 10:56
EBST

ADL120 is basically same as GSR56. The only difference I see is price.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

and installation cost…

EBST

I have a non turbo aircraft but I am wondering if a Turbo without FIKI is an added value?

The idea with a turbo/non-FIKI aircraft is to climb into VMC on top.
With frontal weather, you won’t be able to outclimb the weather most of the time. So the added value of a Turbo in that situation is limited.

In the summertime when the freezing level is high, you can fly almost always, as long as you stay away from (embedded) CB’s. Satellite data link is very useful to avoid weather. It gives peace of mind to actually know what kind of weather is around you.

With frontal weather, you won’t be able to outclimb the weather most of the time. So the added value of a Turbo in that situation is limited.

Which on a 600NM flight in Europe is hard to avoid…except in October when some stability can rule over a big part….I did the trip described above multiple times VFR, with the weather yesterday this surely wouldn’t have been possible at all ….So yes, I love flying IFR and it’s surely NOT boring… . The knowledge that ATC is providing separation is a big stress reducer….Listening to music like they do in the US seems to me not doable in Europe to the constant handovers to different Radar sectors/frequencies and changes in waypoints NOT on your flight plan….So It’s completely useless to program a Flight Plan I just use the direct to function on my KLN90B so I really don’t see the need for all HMI discussion on the New GPS Boxes for what…? If my KLN90B would have WAAS approved for LPV I would be the happiest man..;

1. TWR
  2. Budapest Info
  3. Wien Radar
  4. Linz Radar
  5. Munich Radar 1
  6. Munich Radar 2
  7. Langen 1
  8. Langen 2
  9. Langen 3
  10. Luxemburg radar
  11. Brussels Control
  12. Liege App
  13. AD info

…The validated ectrl flight plans I have flown so far seem to only include the first and last waypoint so far…

Last Edited by Vref at 31 Jul 14:54
EBST

I couldn’t agree more with Vref above

The KLN94 has a LPV glideslope output but they never implemented it If this box was LPV and RNAV1, I would never spend another penny on my plane, because it already does everything else that’s needed.

Obviously having a turbo is better than not having a turbo, but there are certain downsides on the maintenance side – effectively, cost and downtime are statistically higher.

If I changed to a turbo (TB21) I would want full TKS. In fact if I had to choose between the two I would go for TKS, because a TB21 will go to FL250 whereas a TB20 will go to FL200 which is pretty good.

The logical answer which I come back to every time I look at this is of course a Jetprop Justine keeps saying: why don’t you just buy one and stop talking about it! Then I have to come up with reasons for not buying one…

Last Edited by Peter at 31 Jul 15:21
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message