Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying through frontal weather (IFR)

A turbine Bonanza

Too short range

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

mmmhm yes I noticed that also…but would suite my mission profile of 600NM

EBST

Turbine and unpressurized do not go together. The result is always going to suck, unless you’re the French army.

Turbine and unpressurized do not go together.

That is a generalisation based on the poor jet engine SFC at low altitudes, but

• people who want jet reliability will happily pay for the extra fuel (helicopters, Cessna Caravans, etc)
  • unpressurised flight to FL200 is viable, for a certain (small) market sector

I think the real “join” of the two things comes from marketing. The engine costs so much money, that anybody screwing one on the front of a plane needs to make that plane look like it’s worth a million, so they make it cost a million (or two) by loading it up with goodies.

We see this behaviour everywhere in marketing. In a €30k VW you get a crappy satnav with a crappy touch screen. To get a nice satnav (which still costs about €100 to make) you have to buy a 50k car. It’s called “product differentiation”

It’s a valid (cynical) customer shafting technique, but you can’t use it in sectors which are vulnerable to attack because a newcomer can wipe out your whole business, with a single product which does 90% of what your top of the range one does, selling at 10% more than your bottom one. That is what I have been doing the last 25 years

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
We see this behaviour everywhere in marketing. In a €30k VW you get a crappy satnav with a crappy touch screen. To get a nice satnav (which still costs about €100 to make) you have to buy a 50k car. It’s called “product differentiation”

Many years ago, I knew a guy at my aeroclub who at the time was technical manager of cabin systems for Scandinavian Airlines. This was at the time when economy class headphones were tubes connecting to speakers in the armrest while business class got real headphones. He told me that it actually cost SAS more to provide the “tube” headphones than the real thing. Differentiation…

It’s a valid (cynical) customer shafting technique, but you can’t use it in sectors which are vulnerable to attack because a newcomer can wipe out your whole business, with a single product which does 90% of what your top of the range one does, selling at 10% more than your bottom one. That is what I have been doing the last 25 years

What’s your business area?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Industrial electronics (datacomms). 100% B2B.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
66 Posts
Sign in to add your message