Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying to destinations with unknown wind

It is the standard overhead join I find strange particularly at towered fields with disparate aircraft types.

Couldn’t agree more. Another UK idiocy that’s downright dangerous.

If I need to check an untowered field where nobody answers radio calls, I overfly it midfield 500-1000 ft above pattern (circuit) and then make a descending 270 deg turn into the wind. This is sometimes called a ‘teardrop arrival’ in the US. Gives you a clear view of the airfield from a position (midfield) where the likelihood of other traffic is minimal and the descending turn into wind means you see any arriving traffic that may join downwind. Then join on the 45 or midfield if nobody else around.

The OHJ is an “institution” which you love or hate

Of all the approaches into a circuit, I am least comfortable doing an OHJ – IF there are others doing it at the same time.

And in the UK there is a fair chance of doing an OHJ with others heading for the same place as you – because the OHJ is “suggested” or “ordered” (if ATC) precisely because the airfield is too busy to deal with the inbound traffic. ATC airfields here in the UK use the OHJ when they can’t cope.

If I am faced with that, I clear off out of the area and come back 15 mins later… much safer.

The problem with say 3+ heading for the OHJ concurrently is that you can’t be visual with all of them.

That said, there is no mid-air history in OHJs. The UK midairs that happen in/near the circuit (which is most of UK mid-airs) happen at the circuit height.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The UK midairs that happen in/near the circuit (which is most of UK mid-airs) happen at the circuit height.

That’s the same here, but in many cases only one of the aircraft involved is actually taking off or landing at the airfield, the other one flying enroute, either unaware of the airfield’s existence of foolishly planning the VFR flight across VORs and airfields…

Last Edited by what_next at 16 Oct 11:34
EDDS - Stuttgart

Do we all mean the same thing with the term “overhead join”? I take this to mean that you overfly the airfield above circuit height, then descend into the traffic circuit — preferably on the upwind or crosswind legs. But now the term “standard overhead join” has been used — does that refer to something else?

Another thing which isn’t directly relevant to the discussion but which I’ve though about is the “45° join” that someone mentioned. As far as I understand that means entering the traffic circuit from the outside at a 45° angle to the downwind leg? But that is illegal as the Rules of the Air say that you must make all turns to the left not only in the traffic circuit but also when joining it. A 45° join would be a right turn. (Of course the other way around for right-hand circuits.)

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

But now the term “standard overhead join” has been used — does that refer to something else?

Yes. This is a special UK procedure. See here: http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?appid=11&mode=detail&id=2166

As far as I understand that means entering the traffic circuit from the outside at a 45° angle to the downwind leg? But that is illegal as the Rules of the Air …

Which rules of the air? The 45-degrees-to-downwind join is the standard ICAO procedure and implemented in many countries.

This illustration comes from the FAA, the image link is from Wikimedia Commons:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airfield_traffic_pattern#mediaviewer/File:Traffic_patterns_depicted_in_FAA-H-8083-25.jpg

Last Edited by what_next at 17 Oct 08:14
EDDS - Stuttgart

Do we all mean the same thing with the term “overhead join”? I take this to mean that you overfly the airfield above circuit height, then descend into the traffic circuit — preferably on the upwind or crosswind legs. But now the term “standard overhead join” has been used — does that refer to something else?

Yes, this refers to the UK-specific procedure. See here.

This discussion here is indeed a bit confusing. Mostly because people don’t mention in their posts whether they’re talking airfield with an AG/AFIS or even ATC (in which case the pilot of a radio-equipped aircraft does not necessarily need to go overhead in order to know about the wind and runway state) or whether they’re talking about an unattended field without any other traffic.

But that is illegal as the Rules of the Air say that you must make all turns to the left not only in the traffic circuit but also when joining.

I was not aware of that last bit. Joining on mid downwind is certainly that standard in the US and also to a certain degree in Germany.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 17 Oct 08:00
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Hmm. In Norway the normal procedure is to overfly at a 45 degree angle in upwind direction and joining downwind. In my opinion that is not very optimal because you fly almost directly above the windsock and cannot see it. This UK overhead join looks like a better method, it will give you a much better view of the airfield.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
ATC airfields here in the UK use the OHJ when they can’t cope.

Never seen that before. Directing all traffic to the overhead at the same time when they can’t cope is just darn right dangerous. That sends aircraft on a collision course with each other!!

ATC in my experience (The UK + across NW Europe) has made traffic orbit around VRPs, but I’ve never seen more than one at the same altitude at the same VRP in extreme busy periods. So far everything I’ve seen has been good and well managed!

At worst they’ve told traffic to hold outside the CAS / ATZ while they sort out themselves for a bit.

Last Edited by James_Chan at 17 Oct 12:43

what NeXT wrote: “If you are referring to this incident here: Link I strongly doubt that anybody was fined over it. It was a visual approach to an airport (Katovice) flown with an airliner.”

No, it was a single piston landing at an unmanned grass field (EKHS), and I cannot find the report right now. And the pilot was definitely fined.

I agree with everything else you write, except that I find the Wind sock more useful and more accurate than +/- 45 degrees. But then I have also been trained to use it always and from the beginning.

huv
EKRK, Denmark
Yes. This is a special UK procedure. See here: http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?appid=11&mode=detail&id=2166

That’s exactly what I’m thinking about, too (except that I would be a bit more flexible about the altitudes). I don’t see this as a special UK thing.

As far as I understand that means entering the traffic circuit from the outside at a 45° angle to the downwind leg? But that is illegal as the Rules of the Air …

Which rules of the air?

ICAO Annex 2:

“An aircraft operated on or in the vicinity of an aerodrome shall, whether or not within an aerodrome traffic zone … make all turns to the left, when approaching for a landing and after taking off, unless otherwise instructed” (Chapter 3, 3.2.5c)

“An aircraft is in the vicinity of an aerodrome when it is in, entering or leaving an aerodrome traffic circuit.” (Chapter 1, note to “Aerodrome traffic”)

The 45-degrees-to-downwind join is the standard ICAO procedure and implemented in many countries.

I didn’t know that. Do you have a reference to an ICAO document?

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 17 Oct 19:45
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message