Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying to destinations with unknown wind

1) If you don’t know the wind direction, how do you know which way is downwind?

You got the met forecast before take-off.

2) If you know the wind direction, why are you looking for the windsock?

The forecast may be wrong.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

… except if you consulted the signal square from overhead.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Having said that, I find it interesting that a number of commentators say they would fly downwind whilst looking for the windsock

I don’t think anyone said that.

I actually feel more comfortable flying an OHJ at Kemble because I know everyone else will be doing it.

But to your example. Doing an overhead join has nothing to do with circuit direction. You could just as easily end up in opposing circuits after an OHJ.

EGTK Oxford

When flying I will always fly according to whether the pattern is left or right hand – in Germany this means a downwind join dependent on right or left traffic. In UK, I tend to fly out of either Kemble (OHJ) or Dunkeswell (everything goes) and I actually feel more comfortable flying an OHJ at Kemble because I know everyone else will be doing it. Nothing is worse than to be established on base for runway 22 only to hear someone else announce “right base Runway 22”….. And yes, that has happened to me numerous times where the locals seem to ignore the traffic pattern in Dunkeswell.

Having said that, I find it interesting that a number of commentators say they would fly downwind whilst looking for the windsock. This brings the following conundrum:

1) If you don’t know the wind direction, how do you know which way is downwind?

2) If you know the wind direction, why are you looking for the windsock?

EDL*, Germany

Rhino – re crosswinds in training, maybe you could’ve flown to Fallbrook or Flabob on a windy day

Hehe. Even without wind, Fallbrook was an interesting runway to land on in the early days. Had some fun there with the instructor!

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

Thank you! Yes, very interesting — I would not have expected flight procedures to be described in a manual for the design of aerodrome visual aids! On the other hand I don’t interpret the circuit diagram as being either a Standard or Recommended Practise (SARP), but rather a reference to what the author considers the commonly applied procedure.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 17 Oct 21:39
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

ICAO Doc9157

Pages 1-11 and 1-12, interesting link.

Do you have a reference to an ICAO document?

ICAO Doc9157 (e.g. from here, page 20 Link)

And of course ICAO does not make law, but most national (or multinational) regulations of ICAO member states are based on ICAO agreements.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Most of the world’s aircraft enter the traffic pattern on a 45 to downwind. The ICAO doesn’t write law so there is no legality issue regardless, but based on precedent to consider the standard 45 entry a ‘turn’ would obviously be a over-literal interpretation.

I think its kind of a disease to take every piece of written regulatory guidance and extend its meaning beyond the limits of the original and obvious intent. The left turns around an airport example is no different than interpreting the establishment of 2-way radio contact before entering some airspace as a mandate for two radios in controlled airspace – so the aircraft can be handed off between controllers without breaking contact. In either case, no useful end is served.

Rhino – re crosswinds in training, maybe you could’ve flown to Fallbrook or Flabob on a windy day If its a steady crosswind, I think you’ll get a good feel from the crab angle on final. If its unsteady and blowing you all over the place so you can’t maintain glide path or track, go somewhere else!

Have a good flight.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 17 Oct 21:15
50 Posts
Sign in to add your message