Flying to Kastelorizo LGKJ

Great movie

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Brac LDSB

Sitia LGST

Karpathos LGKP

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@Peter unbelievable, from the whole of Greece, tomorrow morning that you fly to Kastelorizo LGKZ, the only place in the country that will have some weather is Karpathos !
I attach you for your records 0300 and 0600 UTC images of forecast for tomorrow (source http://forecast.uoa.gr ).

The curved “tongue” you see in the east Aegean is the “Meltemi” wind originating from the Black sea ending always southeast of Karpathos. It does not affect Kastelorizo.

This is active always in the summer period.
The strong wind is on Karpathos runway always.
The precipitation you may meet is the wet condensed air meeting the Karpathos mountains’ and rising (cooling) on the west side.
A left orbiting climb and then flying east should keep you clear of it.

LGMG Megara, Greece

My EOBT for LGKJ tomorrow is 0400 UTC.

Administrator

Kastelorizo

Administrator

Administrator

Bliss !
Until the sun rises there, you are still on the dark side of the moon at that tiny, carved out of mountain, apron.
Enjoy your stay.

Did you meet any precipitation during Karpathos departure ?

Last Edited by petakas at 14 Sep 08:08
LGMG Megara, Greece

Petakas,we should be there…why didnt you pass along and pick me ? Of course you’ll handle the problem of the guys with the yellow jackets .He,he.

LGGG

There was light rain on departure, after we got airborne, for about 2nm.

I am doing videos of all the legs on this trip and I am over 500GB now, which is proving to be a problem. Well, I have to put some of the mp4s on a USB SSD and if that packs up I will lose some of them.

The apartment we have here, Mari Apartment, is excellent and no comparison with the dump hotel at Karpathos. In fact the whole place looks great, everyone is nice and it is just really chilled. If I didn’t have a business to go back to, I could hang out here for a couple of weeks, and Justine would be very happy with that

The CAA guy was most welcoming as was everyone else when we arrived. My AOPA membership turns out to have expired on 31st August which will cost me another €50 (total being about €100) unless I can find my US AOPA login and print off a PDF.

There was almost no wind, which is apparently usual for early morning (landing time 0500 UTC) and the wind gets up a few hours after that. This drives the airport opening times.

A truly spectacular place to fly to in a little plane We are very privileged to be able to have a hobby like this.

Administrator

@MedFlyer I really wanted to attend this FlyIn.
Our austerity measures prevent me from doing it unfortunately.
I would gladly pick you up if I would participate, only problem then would be to find a sponsor for the financing of your airport’s stopover fees

LGMG Megara, Greece
Sign in to add your message