Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying your family

@Jujupilote, you are of course writing of the Brevet Base not a basic licence.The base is the terrain not basic.In April this will become the LAPL (A), the conversion procedure can be found on the DGAC site along with how to add further ratings.
@Skydriller has asked for a link on another thread and I will post it as soon as I can find one.

France

Yes, I took the Brevet de Base before taking the PPL. I never know how to describe this to non-french.
Thanks Gallois.

The guy I mentioned describes flying as super family-friendly compared to scuba diving, and other hobbies.

Last Edited by Jujupilote at 05 Mar 08:52
LFOU, France

Jujupilote wrote:

The guy I mentioned describes flying as super family-friendly compared to scuba diving, and other hobbies.

I agree with him, I used to paddle kayaks (professionally), sleeping rough on the side of some river waking up with wet gear frozen stiff in the morning then hucking yourself of as many waterfalls possible for a day while you’re partner wonders if you’re going to get killed that day… The romance of that wears of pretty quickly. My wife (of 23 years) is quite happy flying with me, I guess the trick is to take the family to nice places, stay in nice locations and spend the rest of your weekend doing things the family actually like. As for Sjoerd-Jan my wife mostly falls asleep after having been in the air for a while. (usually somewhere over the Med with not much to see) Compared to extreme kayaking, flying, even single engine, is quite safe…

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

LFHNflightstudent wrote:

I guess the trick is to take the family to nice places, stay in nice locations and spend the rest of your weekend doing things the family actually like

It also makes you like the utility of flying (one get bored by “burger runs”) but you still have to seriously invest in your solo currency
On has to do load of circuits, stalls, glides, steep turns, bad weather….mostly locally when alone

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Jujupilote wrote:

I wouldn’t agree with comparison to scuba diving because it can also be family-friendly hobby. My wife and both my kids (now grown) used to dive (and they still sometimes do) with me. The kids started at age of 8 and we had a lot of fun diving in Adriatic, Red Sea and Yucatan.

Regarding family flying, my wife is still regular and the kids don’t object when they’re around and if destination is scenic

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Yep, he and his wife were big divers and switched to planes when their kids were born.
Then, their kids learnt to dive and they started doing diving trips with their plane (with all their gear etc…) to the Bahamas and the Caymans :)

LFOU, France
76 Posts
Sign in to add your message