Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

PA46 Malibu N264DB missing in the English Channel

I thank the PA46 Malibu N264DB accident had ‘opened a can of worms’ which will take years to work through the system.
A couple of comments in the House of Lords is a long way from an International change.
I think one outcome will be that ‘N’ planes ‘abroad’ will, in some way, be liable to local inspections. To make Isle of Man, Channel Island, French, German etc. – along with N planes – illegal would be another hornet’s nest which I cannot see unraveling with all that Brexit entails at the moment.

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Actually with wingly etc there are way more “illegal charters” under G-reg than under N-reg

You mean the 4POB G-reg PA28-140 or the 2POB in N-reg PA46, I don’t know if anyone of these was listed in Wingly even when flying 1POB N-reg you will get more labels…

Last Edited by Ibra at 12 Feb 13:48
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Peter_G wrote:

I think one outcome will be that ‘N’ planes ‘abroad’ will, in some way, be liable to local inspections.

They are already subject to local inspections. Most maintenance is done on the aircraft by local organisations that are FAA and CAA regulated. There is a comprehensive ramp check regime which could be used to supplement it.

EGTK Oxford

You mean the 4POB G-reg PA28-140 or the 2POB in N-reg PA46, I don’t know if anyone of these was listed in Wingly even when flying 1POB N-reg you will get more labels…

Not really; I was just thinking that to do illegal charter (or legal charter for that matter) you need a means of promoting the service, so you can do lots of flights, and it’s hard to do that on a low profile way.

It’s a bit like if you robbed the Bank of England, you need to have a means lined up for disposing of a large quantity of gold

That is precisely why the UK CAA cost sharing regs (which ran for decades) limited advertising of cost shared flights to a noticeboard at the clubhouse and all passengers had to be club members (loosely speaking; this was never tested, and I am sure a web based “club” would stand up to a legal test). The CAA knew perfectly well that once you open up advertising, it is easy to “come to an informal arrangement with the passengers”. Original text is here and look at 5.3.

Now, with advertising of cost shared flights being legal to do openly, you have a ready platform.

And Wingly etc is prob99 illegal for N-regs anyway.

The exact financial circumstances of the accident flight are not known publically, AFAIK, despite what has been printed in the Daily Mail, etc The insurers are sure to be examining it closely, as they would with any loss of that size.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter_G wrote:

I think one outcome will be that ‘N’ planes ‘abroad’ will, in some way, be liable to local inspections. To make Isle of Man, Channel Island, French, German etc. – along with N planes – illegal would be another hornet’s nest which I cannot see unraveling with all that Brexit entails at the moment.

Can I dig a bit deeper into what you mean, N planes abroad? And the word ‘illegal’? The FAA regime globally is the worlds largest collection of registered aircraft. The FAA system is deemed one of the safest regimes throughout the world. Every day thousands of N reg aircraft fly the globe. Be it water tankers in Australia, corporate jets in Monaco, the Space Shuttle, when it was with us.

The alignment of N reg and dodgy, illegal, something to be kept in a cupboard because of what they might be up to, I thought had disappeared last decade. Plenty of activities are conducted daily by EASA registered aircraft and pilots and do not seem to attract ‘local inspections’, so why N reg?

Last Edited by BeechBaby at 12 Feb 15:52
Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

BeechBaby wrote:

the Space Shuttle

Just out of curiosity, was the Space Shuttle really an N-reg civil aircraft and not a state aircraft?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

Just out of curiosity, was the Space Shuttle really an N-reg civil aircraft and not a state aircraft?

Experimental Category I believe…..

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

Airborne_Again wrote:

Surely not under FAA scope but apparently the pilots need FAA PPL+IR to fly it in Class A (FL180 to FL400), Glider rating would have been more appropriate IMO, this is not the case for Commercial Space Transportation Activities (e.g. SpaceX, VirginGalactic) which are now under FAA oversight

Last Edited by Ibra at 12 Feb 16:34
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Plenty of planes flying around illegally anyway with the wrong release notes for engines, props, mods, and wrong on board docs. Both N and EASA reg. Once you grasp the scale of how many rules are broken every day you kind of get a bit apathetic about it… and just mind your own business. Lots of big names winging it. Don’t even mention Ryanair flying with no ARCs.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

There is not a single plane departing out of Heathrow today which is airworthy.

All you need is one of the screws in the instrument panel to not be written down in the work pack, referencing the traceability form it came with…

Yes the Ryanair thing was hilarious, but of course they didn’t get busted. A private pilot would have got crucified for that.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message