Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

PA46 Malibu N264DB missing in the English Channel

quatrelle wrote:

Unless you have been briefed …. opening the door of a PA46 would be an impossible task especially if confused and in the dark, and if the pilot was knocked out after hitting the water he would of been no use either.

The photo released shows the door open.

EGTK Oxford

Does it? I just can’t see a door.

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

On the bbc:

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Dave_Phillips wrote:

Does it? I just can’t see a door.

Well, it either opened on impact and was ripped off or someone opened it. My point was the concern about it being hard to open unless briefed (which is true) is not likely to be relevant here.

EGTK Oxford

JasonC wrote:

The photo released shows the door open.

Thanks, I didnt see that picture, so from that pic which appears to show that they managed to open the door one could conclude that they did not hit the water that hard ?

The information released by the AAIB was that one of the occupants was, unfortunately, inside the plane when they found it.

This tells us nothing about doors or rafts, or whether either were used. It tells us that at least one of the occupants failed to exit the plane before it sank.

The photo does appear to show the door open.

Last Edited by Graham at 04 Feb 15:46
EGLM & EGTN

JasonC wrote:

Well, it either opened on impact and was ripped off or someone opened it. My point was the concern about it being hard to open unless briefed (which is true) is not likely to be relevant here.

Would be tricky to get a seat cushion out without opening the door, but I don’t know the internal layout of a PA46…

Last Edited by Ibra at 04 Feb 15:49
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

quatrelle wrote:

Thanks, I didnt see that picture, so from that pic which appears to show that they managed to open the door one could conclude that they did not hit the water that hard ?

Or they hit it very hard and it came open on impact?

Or it came open when the plane hit the sea bed?

Last Edited by Graham at 04 Feb 15:49
EGLM & EGTN

All I see in the photo is that the door isn’t there. I also see a bit of loose door seal and one of the the bottom clam restraining straps which is misaligned. Here’s a close-up of another Mirage.

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

Graham wrote:

Or it came open when the plane hit the sea bed?

Or 10 seconds before ditching? or open the whole flight?

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message