Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

PA46 Malibu N264DB missing in the English Channel

Has there been any indication where the PAX was sat.
One posting said he was likely to have been in ‘club’ section as indication of ‘status’.
Sure he had no passing interest in aviation.
Sure somebody would have noticed on Nantes departure.
Is it likely he unstraped himself in flight.
Difficult to see why pilot’s body was not still in aircraft.
PA46 has emergency escape hatch/door RHS second row, which understand opens inwards, ‘plug-fit’.
Any indications if that had been ‘opened / removed’ ?
If concussion / loss of life took place on high speed impact why is pilot not still strapped in seat.
PAX text messages indicated he had a ‘lot of luggage’ which may have dictated for W&B that he would have had to occupy the P2 seat.
Balance – could that have been a contributing factor. Not sure what the ‘range’ is like in the Malibu.

Last Edited by WarleyAir at 02 Mar 12:56
Regret no current medical
Was Sandtoft EGCF, North England, United Kingdom

‘range’ fore and aft I mean

I’m struggling to get the obsession with this accident. I see on other football forums some aviation people have joined up and have hundreds of posts on the topic. It seems like it is only being talked about because of a famous footballer being on board. A Cessna 208 crashed and killed an innocent 7-year-old kid last May over in Ireland. Many of the same factors at play, but there aren’t 700+ posts on that crash. You could learn as much analysing the accident of a non-famous person, but it seems because one of the fatalities had a monetary amount in the 8 figure range depicting their value as a human being this accident continues to captivate the minds of many.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

WilliamF wrote:

You could learn as much analysing the accident of a non-famous person

True.

However, because of the additional interest of the general public on this one, it is more likely to affect (as in “new regulation”, justified or not) how we fly in the future.

Totally unwarranted in my view, but it is what it is.

There would have been a lot more to learn in the interest of safety if it had been a controlled ditching.

Antonio
LESB, Spain

WilliamF – a very valid point. I did not know about the Cessna 208 in Ireland.
I guess that’s the exact point.

Difficult to see why pilot’s body was not still in aircraft.

Try reading the accident report

From the ROV video examination it was possible to establish that the aircraft was extensively
damaged, and the main body of the aircraft was in three parts held together by electrical
and flying control cables. The engine had disconnected from the cockpit area, and the rear
section of the fuselage had broken away from the forward section adjacent to the trailing
edge of the wing. The outboard section of both wings, tail plane and fin were missing.

Its more amazing that any body remained in the wreckage.

This may be a “normal” crash like so many others, but what fascinates people is the apparent illegal transport angle, and the VIP status of the passenger makes the profile even bigger. There is probably not going to be any prosecution (the pilot is dead) but the insurance stuff will be working its way through the legal system for years, I am sure.

It’s like the Graham Hill crash.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Tumbleweed – okay all points taken.
So, from the AAIB Special Bulletin, ‘flight’ seemed in a ‘complete mess’ with rapid decents / climbs / turns in the 2000’ + – area and a final, likely vertical, high speed plunge causing airframe breakup on entry.
I can’t help wondering if this sounds like an ‘Incapacitated Pilot’ with desperate control input from the PAX.
This is what got me wondering if he (PAX) was in the P2 seat, even though some sort of yoke movement (in desperation) may have been possible from the rear seating area.

WarleyAir wrote:

I can’t help wondering if this sounds like an ‘Incapacitated Pilot’ with desperate control input from the PAX.
This is what got me wondering if he (PAX) was in the P2 seat, even though some sort of yoke movement (in desperation) may have been possible from the rear seating area.

Really? That is rather fanciful. In the end we will never know but it was almost certainly pilot loss of control.

Occam’s razor….

EGTK Oxford

Occam’s razor. Hmmmm.

I prefer the more simplistic view that “If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck and walks like a duck, it’s probably a ….”.

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message