Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

PA46 Malibu N264DB missing in the English Channel

Malibuflyer wrote:

But let’s take your example. Assume that you would be flying with me and just before you jump aboard I tell you, that I quickly have to tighten a nut that came loose on the engine. What would you ask me? Most probably: Why did it come loose? Can this happen again on our next flight? And perhaps you would – half jokingly – tel me something like “And don’t forget this spanner under the cowling” … and that is exactly what regulation does in this case for you.

Exactly. A commercially operated PA46 couldn’t be touched by the pilot/owner for anything MX related. It goes in the techlog, is fixed, and signed off.

always learning
LO__, Austria

BeechBaby wrote:

My ticket clearly said Ryanair.

It must have said “operated by Buzz” and the same text needs to be visible on the aircraft during boarding.
If not, you may report it to the authority or EASA.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Malibuflyer wrote:

But let’s take your example. Assume that you would be flying with me and just before you jump aboard I tell you, that I quickly have to tighten a nut that came loose on the engine. What would you ask me? Most probably: Why did it come loose? Can this happen again on our next flight? And perhaps you would – half jokingly – tel me something like “And don’t forget this spanner under the cowling” … and that is exactly what regulation does in this case for you.

If I trust you enough to fly with you, I trust you to tighten a screw

If you tell me you just replaced a cylinder on the field, for the second time in two months, I would back off a little…

LFOU, France

Snoopy wrote:

Company B owns no private jets, but set up an AOC and for 5000€/month, they will act as the “operator” of the jet, thereby dividing the cost of the AOC by as many jets as possible they “operate”. Technically, on paper there is oversight, but in practice there is not.

And then you end up with things like this: https://admiralcloudberg.medium.com/the-black-hole-business-model-the-crash-of-manx2-flight-7100-662523e81456

History almost repeated itself with CityWing (the “airline”, in reality a booking agent) that sprang up to replace Manx2. They nearly pranged one flying one of their small LETs in weather none of the other airlines would fly in, they also used loopholes to dodge the Icelandic volcanic ash incident (which forced the Isle of Man CAA to actually close Manx airspace to stop them). Whether the Icelandic volcanic ash incident was an overreaction or not, I don’t know – but the way they operated clearly demonstrated a lot of hazardous attitudes that fare paying passengers, entirely unable to make a risk judgement, should be subjected to.

Andreas IOM

Snoopy wrote:

Example: For many years, it was perfectly fine to run a MEP on an AOC, while the same was not possible on a SET such as TBM or PC12. In which plane would you rather see your family in?

Of course pressurised MEP!
I know that Turbine is usually more reliable but it is SE – single point of failure.

EGTR

The problem is that a shagged out old Seneca worth say 50k would be legal for A-to-B charter AOC while a €5M PC12 would not be.

For an example of the former, look up the accident report for G-OMAR I knew the “operator” well, having started my PPL there…

It is true that the chance of both IO540 engines failing together due to a catastrophic mechanical failure is extremely small, but they will certainly fail together if there is too much air in the fuel tanks And “operator factors” are much more likely bring a plane down than the failure of a PT6.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

And “operator factors” are much more likely bring a plane down than the failure of a PT6.

:) Debateable!
Well, you never save never, of course, we all make mistakes, but!
If you have a fuel totaliser and you don’t fiddle with it, how can you miscalculate fuel that badly?!

EGTR

Snoopy wrote:

It must have said “operated by Buzz” and the same text needs to be visible on the aircraft during boarding.

Actually it did not. I was only very slightly puzzled, The CC were in maroon uniforms, with Buzz badges. The cabin announcement was this flight is operated on behalf of Ryanair by Buzz. I did not think that Ryanair would do that, franchise out its ops, but maybe it was a one off

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

If you have a fuel totaliser and you don’t fiddle with it, how can you miscalculate fuel that badly?!

I think you would be shocked at the level of kit in any half decent IFR SEP, versus what you find was used for AOC charter ops in the old days before the MEP charter business died.

The worst ones flying in recent history, say within last 10-15 years, were the Islanders and Trilanders on the run to the Channel Islands. A fuel totaliser? You’ve gotta be kidding Some of that wreckage didn’t even have a working autopilot.

I used to see them flying at 500ft above the sea, all the way Shoreham-Jersey. The AOC ops still do that to the Scilly Isles… the flight is VFR so the IAP minima is, ahem, not applicable Quite safe, so long as you don’t crash, but since the pilot has a Class 1 medical every 6 months, that cannot happen. To be fair, they are very current.

Some fun reading on the goode olde days of piston charters.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The problem is that a shagged out old Seneca worth say 50k would be legal for A-to-B charter AOC while a €5M PC12 would not be.

Not sure whether you are talking historically but Single turbine operations now permitted by EASA.

https://www.ftnonline.co.uk/2017/04/15/single-engine-commercial-operations-arrive-europe/

Egnm, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message