Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

FAA Foreign Licence Verification of EASA PPL with expired SEP rating

I got a letter where “FAA was not able to check the validity of my SEP & TMG class/type ratings” I got that checked by FSDO and you will have to do a BFR anyway on top (but one would need a valid EASA SEP for that?)

I guess instrument rating are special under 61.75? (If you need the IPC as added)

Last Edited by Ibra at 20 Feb 23:18
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

@Ibra: Mmh interesting. You had the SEP expired at the time of your application? So you fixed everying at the FSDO right?

LILV, Italy

No, the SEP rating was current and had plenty of validity at the time (but TMG was 2 months short), it seems to me the UK CAA does not communicate validity of type/class ratings but will probably send validity of medical and instrument?

From Jason’s comment it appears UK CAA communicates whether a rating is within its validity period. There is no information shared by UK CAA concerning the date of rating expiry.

Where a class rating is revalidated there is no assurance UK CAA will have been notified by receiving an SRG1119B (or -E). Unless policy has changed in recent years it is not mandatory to notify UK CAA of a class rating revalidation. Licence holders could use eLicensing to update their own file in this case (see CAP 1526 para 5.1).

Ibra, completion of the flight review, or substitute activity, and fulfilment of the US recent experience requirements are sufficient for acting as pilot-in-command under the US pilot certificate. There is no requirement, express or implied, for the class rating in the foreign licence to be valid other than at the moment of application for the restricted US certificate.

London, United Kingdom

Even in UK airspace, one can fly on 61.75 with a current FAA BFR but lapsed UK/EASA SEP rating?

Yes if done in a US-registered aircraft on a non-commercial flight and UK CAA doesn’t give a direction to the contrary. If the certificate holder was a UK national then UK could refuse to recognise the certificate in accordance with article 32 of the Chicago Convention. The position of the Office of the Chief Counsel for FAA on this point is made clear in the interpretation given to Andrew Krausz on 22 Mar 2012 by Rebecca B MacPherson, Assistant Chief Counsel for Regulations.

The foreign-based Canadian PPL is even more exciting. In this case you can chop up the parent licence without invalidating the Canadian one.

London, United Kingdom

Hi all!
For the record (it might be useful for someone else), I managed to verify my EASA PPL license with an expired SEP rating (on the verification letter).
I had to go to Orlando FSDO since they were really helpful and I managed to find an appointment there with an Inspector who confirmed me that I was eligible for the foreign license verification.
He agreed with me that the purpose of the verification letter is to verify the authenticity of the ratings and not their currency.
In fact I just showed him the renewed SEP rating while meeting him in person at the Orlando FSDO and the whole process went smooth.

Be advised that now most of the FSDO in Florida (at least in South Florida and Orlando for sure) are only using the Designated Pilot Examiners as “ispectors” for the Foriegn License Verification process.
The problem with this “new” thing is that they are not well informed about regulations (in fact I asked to go through the FSDO because they all told me it was not possible with an expired rating on the verification letter) and they are also quite expensive (they ask you around 300$ while the FSDO does it for free).
Let me know if I you any questions.
Marco

LILV, Italy

Just curious on the other way around, can you fly on a FAA61.75 previleges where the underlying EASA has current valid SEP but the FAA BFR has lapsed?

@Ibra: in your home country you can fly the N-registered aircraft on the basis of your EASA license. As soon as you use the FAA privileges, you need to have a valid flight review. I just renewed mine, so good for another 2 years, but without it, you are not legal to fly using your FAA license.

EDLE, Netherlands

That was my interpretation both standalone or 61.75 differs in the means used to get a pilot certificate, to maintain the rating you will need a BFR (logical as you don’t have to maintain EASA SEP rating for FAA previleges as per Qalupalik post)

Sign in to add your message