Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Loss of electrical power while flying a GPS approach at night

Peter wrote:

Isn’t your ADL aircraft powered?

In my case you’re right, although it is on the cig jack so would work as long as battery power is still available. It wasn’t clear if that was the case in this video. But one can get rechargeable 9V/12V power packs to drive the ADL long enough. The retired ADL130 had an 8hr life rechargeable battery.

LSZK, Switzerland

Silvaire wrote:

Anybody had opportunity to do that with Foreflight etc, in preparation for ‘someday’?

I have, albeit not to minima and with the AHRS coming from the panel via Garmin Flightstream. Works, and in a pinch would deffo get you down (you’d need a battery-powered Stratus). In an emergency, you could do it without AHRS and simply load up the plate on the iPad and fly the waypoints accordingly. This only needs a battery-powered GPS like the DUAL I have.

The big problem our doc would have been facing regardless was the PCL – w/o a handheld he wouldn’t have had any means to turn it on. That said, he did get power back intermittently and could have used that window to turn it on. Typically stays on for 20 mins, enough for an approach.

Ibra wrote:

You will need an AI backup to fly,

But that’s vacuum driven (at least in most SEP installations), so power loss is not an issue.

172driver wrote:

Works, and in a pinch would deffo get you down (you’d need a battery-powered Stratus). In an emergency, you could do it without AHRS and simply load up the plate on the iPad and fly the waypoints accordingly

My Stratus normally operates fully charged on ships power and then battery powered for many hours after ships power fails. So that should not be an issue.

It seems to me no problem in principle to load the geo-referenced plate on Foreflight, and keep the plane under control with Stratus/AHRS/terrain avoidance. No installed AI is required although as noted it should also be working with vacuum power. My expertise is about zero in this stuff and I’m guessing without substantial practice it would come out badly, but it appears with that data available the actual GPS approach could be flown or one could track it to a point overhead the airport and (given terrain clearance) circle down to land.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 15 Mar 23:24

Silvaire wrote:

but it appears with that data available the actual GPS approach could be flown

Correct. All you need is the iPad with some sort of GPS, Foreflight and the altimeter for the flyover waypoints. Essentially works the same as the panel mount, minus the CDI of course. Keep the mini airplane on the course line, make sure you don’t go below the various altitudes and Bob’s your uncle.

Last Edited by 172driver at 15 Mar 22:42

172driver wrote:

But that’s vacuum driven (at least in most SEP installations), so power loss is not an issue.

He was referring in his comments to gyro mechanical issues rather than failure on power sources, but yes he was flying on vacuum that day

Last Edited by Ibra at 15 Mar 23:30
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

He was referring in his comments to gyro mechanical issues rather than failure on power sources,

Huh? Where in the video does he say that? He lost comms and nav – the vacuum pump sure as hell doesn’t drive the alternator…..

Really at the end of the video, on a note unrelated to his accident, he says now he needs 3 AIs to fly serious IFR and cross check between them if he suspect failure…

Last Edited by Ibra at 15 Mar 23:45
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Yeah, but that’s his (over)reaction to a bad situation, nothing to do with the subject of the video. It would make more sense if he said “I now fly with an iPad and battery powered GPS as backup”.

Is there a simple device (perhaps battery powered) which would allow a headset to receive Bluetooth?
In this way one could use a mobile phone ‘hands free’; and also hear the warnings from SkyDemon via one’s headphones.

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message