Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

FIKI certification in Europe - what does it mean?

Some posts above appear to define “known icing” as a visible ice deposition. That’s fine, but that isn’t how the FAA uses it for enforcement purposes.

Ibra, is that Cessna pic post-flight, or was it just parked overnight under some heavy freezing dew and in the morning the whole sheet started to melt and slid off the top of the wing?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

It doesn’t matter how you shake this, we still come back to… which forecast?

(I’m only talking about regulation – what is smart to do and not is obviously a very different question)

The good thing is, that the way the regulator put it, the question “which forecast?” is not really relevant. That is because they said “expected” and not “forecasted”. Therefore the question that will be asked in case there is a legal dispute is, if you should have expected it.

And as long as you use a “reliable” forecast (that is one from a reliable source like a met office, national weather service, etc.) and this forecast predicts icing, you should expect it. It is quite obviously not gross negligence, if the forecast you typically use doesn’t predict icing, but there is another one that does but you are not aware of it. If however, the forecast you use for preparation predicts icing but you find a different one that doesn’t I doubt that there is any judge in Europe that would assume, that you had to expect icing.

Therefore from the legal side it’s quite simple: Use your normal due diligence in flight preparation and the icing forecast included in your normal preparation routine. If that predicts icing, then use a FIKI plane as long as there is not other way to avoid flying into icing conditions.

Germany

Looks pre-flight to me

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Malibuflyer wrote:

If that predicts icing, then use a FIKI plane

Did you mean “a plane with de-icing/anti-icing”?
I have not seen a definition of “FIKI plane” in EASA world.

EGTR

have not seen a definition of “FIKI plane” in EASA world.

It’s in the type certificate. By the way, why is the DA50 not FIKI?

Last Edited by Snoopy at 20 Dec 14:54
always learning
LO__, Austria

By the way, why is the DA50 not FIKI?

Good question, according to CAV’s pitch it should have been.

T28
Switzerland

Snoopy wrote:

It’s in the type certificate.

Can you show an example of EASA FIKI a/c?
Just curious. Thanks!

EGTR

arj1 wrote:

Snoopy wrote: It’s in the type certificate.

Can you show an example of EASA FIKI a/c?
Just curious. Thanks!

Found it for SR-22 and DA-42
What is interesting is that for SR-22 it’s “flight into know icing” but for DA-42 – “flight into know or forecast”.

EGTR

Here is the TKS AFMS for my FAA-approved plane:

Exactly as expected – not possible for it to be FAA “FIKI”.

And I have not seen “FIKI” to be defined in any non-FAA context, other than some use of the expression in some vague sense.

I could ask CAV for a copy of the AFMS for a non-N-reg plane…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I wonder how much POH wordings are related to the “local NAA languages”?

Part-NCO EASA rules clearly does not prevent anyone from flying with an “ice forecasts”, even FAA has backtracked while ago on “ice forecasts” (not sure where I did read that now it mentions “actual ice” and distinguish between inadvertent ice encounter equipments vs full FIKI equipments) but the weather briefs and pireps in USA are rather prescriptive, if you call the WX phone number you are pretty much stuck with it unless you have a good lawyer

There are zillions of N-regs flying in uncle sam’s land in harsh weather with “no-FIKI stamps or redundancies” on their TKS installs that does not mean they are not equipped for some “icing tasks”, some are hardcore +300hp turbos with FL250 ceilings

Now that the UK went out of EASA, a quick look at 2016 ANO rules of the air suggest “ice equipment for forecasts” which is more prescriptive than NCO wording, but does not talk about “FIKI certification”…

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2016/765/pdfs/uksi_20160765_en.pdf

Last Edited by Ibra at 20 Dec 17:12
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message