Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying IFR in the US for a dummy

KBJJ has a clearance delivery frequency on the field, 121.75, so you can call them (Akron-Canton Clearance Delivery) to close/cancel your IFR flight plan. I would file SAX ELIOT PSB BSV. I chose SAX and ELIOT to be compatible with the SID. PSB is just a convenient VOR along your route and BSV is a VOR near your destination. This route is only 6 NM longer than a direct route (2% extra). If you file direct, you will likely get a more convoluted route, but with ForeFlight, you will also get a heads up of the route to expect from ATC. ForeFlight monitors the computer messages sent to your departure controller via the automation and sends it to the pilot via an email and a pop up message inside the app, so this will usually be your initial cleared route. I would recommend filing using an ICAO format flight plan and make sure the equipment codes are correctly specified. Don’t file a SID out of KHPN as they are both vector SIDs and don’t have a specified route and as such and will generate an error, but the route I suggested is compatible with the PROP1 SID.

KUZA, United States

172driver wrote:

Note, that you can obtain a departure clearance at a non-towered field by phone on 1-888-766-8267.

This is going away this summer. The FAA is moving to providing direct telephone numbers at each non towered airport that puts you in contact with clearance delivery. The FSS are getting out of the clearance relay business, good riddance.

KUZA, United States

Is it/ it is possible to get a PDC via foreflight
https://foreflight.com/products/pdc/
Flying is so nice in the states!

always learning
LO__, Austria

Yes, PDC is offered, but you need to purchase the $300/Yr Performance Subscription to get the feature. PDC is only provided at the largest airports, around 70 airports.

KUZA, United States

So far so good.

Well, sat on the ground for 25min waiting for my clearance (which was LONG). I told them “ready to copy, slow please, new to flying in the US”. They obliged, which was good since there were at least 20 items.

Ended up upgrading to higher tier of FF to get PDC until I realised it wouldn’t work for me for this trip. Sigh.

Service at this end was stellar, I was late for a rehearsal dinner and they brought the courtesy car (which is first come first served) to the plane and I just put my bike in. Have to return the car today (despite leaving tomorrow) but hey, having the car in the first place is great.
I’ll fuel today, but not sure if I have to tip or something. I feel like I often end up tipping when not necessary, just out of fear of being rude. (If only everything was as civilised as Japan!).

Americans, what’s your opinion?

For the first time in my life, there is a controller I could absolutely not understand (Akron Approach). I first thought the transmission didn’t help, and told them I couldn’t understand him (he repeated the message 3 times) and we’d talk closer to destination. Turns out it was just the accent and intonation (a mix of mumbling / relaxed). I requested descent when I wanted and things worked better when I initiated conversation (so his responses were shorter).

Funny seeing heart of Midwest, discovering a whole new world (country club scene, very long prayer before the meal, people reciting the pledge of allegiance at a diner for breakfast, and TONS of flags – it even makes NYC look like a “normal” city in terms of flags. Even an American asked “what’s up with all the flags” – I hadn’t really dared!!

Tomorrow back to NYC direct. I was hoping to make a detour but there seems to be convective activity later in the day so I’ll just play it safe.

Maybe I’ll venture to Montreal in 2 weeks or so to try something exotic in a different way.

Tipping is not normally expected, but if you are flying out of the same airport, like a home base, Line personnel will know who the tippers are and will give them even better service.

KUZA, United States

Thanks!

Noe wrote:

ll fuel today, but not sure if I have to tip or something

I recall it was the case when the guy comes to the GA ramp but I don’t think it is a concern for self-service machines

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I tip the line guy/gal only when they render exceptional service, e.g. driving the rental car up the airplane, helping unload/load the bags into the car (I sometimes fly with a ton of gear), etc.

I used the FBO for fuel – I understand at some places it’s cheaper if you fuel yourself, but I didn’t even look if that was the case there, as I was renting wet. They waived other fees, which I have no idea what they would have been.

Return was more interesting, as:
- Weather was poor (some convective activity) – definitely IFR all the way
- Departure was from an untowered field.
- Arrival was expected to be high workload (into essentially NYC)

Weather.
Forecast to be in cloud and rain. Temperatures were high on the ground (so little concern about icing), plane had nexrad and all sorts of weather info on board. With no embedded CB or Thunderstorms forecast, it was a GO for me.

Departure:
I had to call the larger airport nearby (radio worked) to get clearance. This time, I got “as filed”, instead of a two-dozen of points / airways. They asked me to let them know when number 1 and which runway to get a release. Since I didn’t know what the release was, I said I was unfamiliar with US IFR procedures at non-towered. They explained (very nicely) that once I was number one (no other aircraft departing ahead) and knew the runway, he could release me and would give departure instructions (which weren’t in the initial clearance).
While my filed route was due east, I was told to depart into due South (presumably to keep away from the larger airport). After departure, once on the approach and identified, cleared onto the route.

ARRIVAL:
During the flight, I got 2 amendments to the route. On both of these amendments, I couldn’t input the arrival correctly in the SR22 G1000 NXi FPL (because the initial point was a point that wasn’t at the beginning of the arrival).

One of the arrivals was one for La Guardia (NOBBI5), which made the whole FPL a bit confusing, given I was going to white plains. Essentially, the part relevant to me was only 2 legs of the arrival procedure. I wasn’t told I’d expect vectors so that was a bit of an unknown.

As expected, much better treatment than in the UK – no being dumped into uncontrolled airspace.

Next weekend I’m flying commercial to Jamaica, but the weekend after I’ll probably go for a Friday evening to Saturday early afternoon. Any suggestion for a nice destination in the sort of 400nm range? I’m thinking of Montreal, but heard Maine might be nice too.

Sign in to add your message