Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Making Cirrus Safe Again, and risk management

Well, the last weekend has not done much to reassure people that GA is pretty safe…. 6 crashes in Germany (or nearby including the Cirrus) with total of 6 killed does not instill any confidence…

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Well, the last weekend has not done much to reassure people that GA is pretty safe…. 6 crashes in Germany (or nearby including the Cirrus) with total of 6 killed does not instill any confidence…

In Sweden a notorious “flight safety expert” is doing his best to spread FUD about light GA in general in the aftermath of the crash of the aircraft with skydivers a week ago. (With 9 dead).

(He is notorious because all other flight safety experts have sense enough to only say what is relevant and they know with certainty, which of course is not much at this point. So media always contacts this guy who talks a lot of nonsense.)

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 22 Jul 08:20
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Yea, we have those as well… and there is a bunch in most fora too.

But it becomes increasingly difficult to justify GA flying to passengers or spouses if you get crash alerts every couple of hours…. No experts needed. Actually most of the reporting on the German crashes was to the point without more drama than a car crash…

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Bit late to the discussion but I am shocked by the myths spread out there. I was at an airport close to my home base and got into a discussion with some guys who’d recently purchased an SR20.They were adamant that they were going to fly 80knots on final, that a ‘few knots more is also ok’ – a bounce is preprogrammed as they will arrive with too much energy, float and try to force it onto their short runway. Ok, so I’m not a flight instructor, but the guy who was telling them how to land it had ZERO hours flying a Cirrus…. who would you listen to? A guy with 400 hours on that type or an instructor with 0 hours on type?

I eventually flew onwards, wondering when I’d be reading about their accident in this machine….

I even advised them about the availability of training from a CSIP which is paid for by Cirrus, even if the aircraft is an older SR2x but no, they were happy with the ‘knowledge’ imparted to them by this instructor….

EDL*, Germany
54 Posts
Sign in to add your message