Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Piper Arrow G-BVDH down on the Simplon Pass in Switzerland

Timothy wrote:

Would it, though? I can see why having QNE set might have caused this (depending on the QNH on the day) but how having QFE set would do so is lost on me. I would have thought it would place them 2,041’ higher than they thought. I am probably having a brain failure, please explain for a dimbo.

Correct you are, of course.
Also, I think it is technically impossible to set an altimeter to zero at an airport of more than 2000 feet elevation. So this is absurd for many reasons.

And setting QNE would not have made such any big error, as the QNH sure wasn’t that low on Sunday.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 27 Aug 13:00
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Timothy wrote:

Would it, though? I can see why having QNE set might have caused this (depending on the QNH on the day) but how having QFE set would do so is lost on me. I would have thought it would place them 2,041’ higher than they thought. I am probably having a brain failure, please explain for a dimbo.

No. It’s me that’s having the brain failure, and you are perfectly correct.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Family named.

jgmusic on EuroGA.

This was one of his trip writeups.

Really tragic.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

What a tragedy. Such a lovely family and a very kind member. I had no idea they were known in the UK.

I will keep them in my prayers. I guess @Peter_G will find more words than me.

LFOU, France

That is just heartbreaking…

EBST, Belgium

Seeing the pics from his August Cherbourg trip report is tough.

EGTF, LFTF

Looking at his pictures is heartbreaking. Such a sweet family. It really is horrible what happened here.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Oh dear,,,, how very, very sad. RIP.

What a tragedy, tears in my eyes.

EHTE, Netherlands

This info actually deepens the mystery. If it was his own airplane, he would have been familiar with it and I doubt he mishandled it. I just cannot get my head around someone flying straight into a mountain on a perfectly clear day without any apparent effort to climb. Surely he must have know that his plane was not a fighter jet that could outclimb the terrain at the last minute.

That said, being based in London he may never have gotten above a few thousand feet…..

As to the flight track and autopilot: can you load a route from SD into a G430 (or similar)? I ask, because you can do with FF (and Garmin Flightstream), so in this case he could have been on a/p. Of course we don’t know if he was using either product.

Sign in to add your message