Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Engine out after departure LSZH today

Today I got a parcel with my new book. So my personal emergency stories turns out to be useful for my business. The book is about the things leaders can learn from pilots, especially regarding a crisis or an emergency situation in their business. Hopefully this will be a small payback on the costs of the engine replacement.

EuroGA is mentioned several times in the book as an important source of knowledge. And therefore I say thank you to the support everybody of you gave me last year.

EDDS , Germany

Shame I don’t speak German. I hope the book will be success.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I know the feeling of holding your own book in your hands for the first time.

It’s been a while but I still remember the feeling. Mine got done in a very short time and arrived literally 2 hours before I had to depart for the book sigining the next day.

Good luck with the sales!

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

I just read through this incident, stopped about four pages back. Couple of comments on the Bonanza, a clean glide is around 10.3, but if the prop is not able to be pulled to low RPM setting, it is more like 6 or 7 to 1. If the engine seizes and the prop stops or nearly so, the glide improves to more like 13 to 1. Catastrophic engine failures like this are usually due to oil starvation, mot commonly caused by a spun main bearing. Common contributing factor is a recent top overhaul where the bearing crush is not maintained, more common after multiple cylinders are replaced or overhauled. Case fretting can also allow the main bearings to spin. When the bearing spins, oil no longer is provided to the crank and failure is without any prior indication and within a minute as parts are thrown at high velocity thru the case. Best case is the prop stops or nearly so.

Great job of flying in a tough situation. The Bonanza is never too high an with the gear and flaps deployed, the high drag configuration is extremely steep. When pilots are unable to make the runway, it is often because they deploy flaps and gear too soon. The POH lists an emergency landing glide speed with gear and flaps deployed that should be respected or one may not have sufficient energy to flare.

Each engine manufacturer has its own policies, but when we had a catastrophic engine failure on a Lycoming engine, they wanted the core returned, even with a big hole in the case.

KUZA, United States

Congrats Peter – again to your superb flying at the time and of course to your book! Now – what does VUKA stand for (I do speak German)?

@172driver

Thank you very much.

Now – what does VUKA stand for

This is the VUKA-definition:

volatility ‚Volatilität‘, uncertainty ‚Unsicherheit‘, complexity ‚Komplexität‘ und ambiguity ‚Mehrdeutigkeit‘

In our trainings and consulting business it is used to describe, that the working world and the private world are getting more and complex nowadays. In the first chapter I‘m trying to show that this is only one perspective and then I do show that pilots are trained to deal with such a world. Finally I do talk about the different strategies and the personal attitude one might learn from a pilot.

EDDS , Germany

Where can I buy your book? And is there a euroga discount (sorry, airline pilots are cheap)?

always learning
LO__, Austria

@Snoopy wrote:

Where can I buy your book?

It is sold here and here. As it is sold by the publishing house and as we do have the „Preisbindung“ there is unfortunately no EuroGA discount. But with the Kindle-Edition the price is a bit lower and it‘s easier to take it with you in the airline cockpit.

EDDS , Germany

It’s great that you have written a book related to this, Peter.

I would buy it but there is no way to machine translate a book

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Wonderful @eddsPeter how you dealt with the situation and shared the entire experience and followup with everyone. For all of us, this is one of the best learning exercises we could have without actually going through the situation.

You were very fortunate to have gained the necessary altitude to rescue the situation via return to the airport. The following AOPA Air Safety Institute video shows that at 1’000 AGL vs your 2’500 AGL this would not have worked out so well. It also shows that each situation is different and one should avoid trying to make a rule of thumb.

Reality Check: The runway behind you

LSZK, Switzerland
Sign in to add your message