Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What is the "bump" you get when flying an accurate 360 orbit?

Dimme wrote:

That’s a beautiful picture!

Thanks! One must be very careful where you do this. You don’t want to find a surprise just below the top of the mist. I’d wanted to do that for a while, but location is critical. I know that property as well as my own, and knew that I would not hit anything buried in the mist.

I also satisfy myself hitting my own turbulence at the bottom of a loop.

About 15 years ago I was working with a colleague developing a system on a Cessna 207 which was used to collect air samples for air chemistry. A periscope tube stuck well up above the roof of the plane, and a vacuum pump pulled air in, and through the specrometer. My instructions were to fly a series of lines, not overflying a previous line. After a few hours, I got tired, and turned right instead of left. After a half mile down the line, the scientist asked me if I’d turned the wrong way? “Yup, I did, but how’d you know?”. “Because I’m picking up our exhaust from the last line, in the air we’re sampling!”. My errant flying was much more precise than I had expected!

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

Thanks for sharing, cool story. An a 207, sigh!

always learning
LO__, Austria

There is a theory that some of the Moose stalls that affect the Super Cub were due to repeated flying through their own wake, not due to the cross control slow turn theory.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message