Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Firm landings becoming standard in commercial ops?

@LeSving
Considering the still air,up to 10 KTs headwind, and tailwind : Speed is set to Vref + 5 , and you have to keep this until flare. Different companies have different criteria for stabilized approach, mostly +10 / -5 KTs to call out , but higher speed is NOT safe. It adds more and more energy to the airplane, thus your landing distance is seriously diminished. The smooth and nice landings(and trials of course ) are increasing my “pucker factor” when I am pilot monitoring.

Fly , Cycle and Run
LTBJ,LTFB, Turkey

I wonder if speed is a factor. Coming in at a high speed just to be “safe” ?

No, unless it is very windy the speed will be vref+a few knots, always the same. Differences may lie in the policies for use of reverse and autobrake depending on many factors. Some airlines require maximum braking when runway condition is X, for instance.

The 737-800 isn’t famous for it’s brakes. While a dash can stop very quickly.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 12 Dec 20:39
always learning
LO__, Austria

SkyWagon wrote:

Speed is set to Vref + 5

Why Vref+5 rather than Vref? (Unless you have to cater for gusty wind etc.) My understanding is that Vref is a safe approach speed and that all performance figures are based on it.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 12 Dec 21:11
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

Why Vref+5 rather than Vref? (Unless you have to cater for gusty wind etc.) My understanding is that Vref is a safe approach speed and that all performance figures are based on it.

The autothrottle is probably only certified for up to +/- 5 knots. And if hand flying deviations of -5/+10 knots are allowed. Therefore the +5 margin so you never fall below Vref during the approach.

The extra speed will be bled off during the flare anyway, so touchdown will occur at Vref (or less).

EDDW, Germany
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message