Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Vulnerability of light GA to loss of airspeed indication

Airborne_Again wrote:

The second page of the document you included explicitly states that the stall warning will trigger pitch down-action by the autopilot.

I still think that is likely to be based on speed rather than the actual stall warner. Unless a cirrus -ilot tells us that the stall warning system is actually linked into the G1000.

EGTK Oxford

Looks like the stall system and low speed protection in Perspective + (ie G6 models) is based on stall warning from the AOA and not ASI.

The sky is the limit
EGKB, United Kingdom

I actually had an ASI failure recently. I saw it on the takeoff roll so I could have aborted, but I figured it was no big deal. Went round the pattern and landed. With my plane 15" and full flaps will turn out beautifully – plus I have GPS ground speed though I didn’t even look at it.

Turned out that during some extended MX some bugs had built a nest in the pitot.

LFMD, France

SierraNovember wrote:

Looks like the stall system and low speed protection in Perspective + (ie G6 models) is based on stall warning from the AOA and not ASI.

That’s reasonable. I can’t see how a stall warner could possibly be based on the ASI.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Is the AOA sensor ice protected?

A few years ago when installing AOA indicators was almost as fashionable as hipster beards this came up – see e.g. around here – and it was clear that without ice protection this type of sensor was useless. Ultimately I didn’t install that product at the time because the manufacturer refused to comment on high altitude performance.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Is the AOA sensor ice protected?

I have a FIKI plane and it’s part of the pre-flight that you check the stall warner for both operation and that the heating plate is working.

The sky is the limit
EGKB, United Kingdom

Is the stall warner and the AOA sensor the same item?

Administrator

I’ve just read an account by a G600 owner who lost airdata (GAD43) and the G600 disconnected the autopilot. This meant that access to RVSM airspace was not allowed, N of Austria in this case, so the altitude was limited to FL280. The aircraft (TBM850) was difficult to fly by hand at that altitude.

It’s interesting that the G1000 supposedly doesn’t have this issue – posted in post #1 and here but that can’t be right, can it? Will a G1000 drive the autopilot if airdata is lost?

Administrator

Could it be dependent on the autopilot having, for example, envelope protection?

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

It’S mainly depending on where the AP gets its attitude data from. The GAD43 delivers ADHRS-data to some AP so if it fails, there is nothing the AP can work on.

Germany
Sign in to add your message