Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

About Refueling, Jerry Cans and Bonding

When refuelling from jerrycans (for instance when I need more than the standard 8 1/2 hours endurance), I find it’s easier and safer to stand on a main wheel, plonk the can on top of the wing and siphon into the tank rather than try to pour into a funnel while perching on a step-ladder. YMMV.

Last Edited by Jacko at 13 Jun 11:26
Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Jacko wrote:

Interestingly, when the (suitably qualified) articulated tanker driver fires 400 gallons of 100LL through a 4” hose into my bowser, there’s never any sign of a grounding wire…

I understand the articulated tanker driver is not bonding the tanker to your bowser ? Is this a closed circuit refueling or a gravity fill refueling ?

@skydriller I’ll be waiting for your post. Thanks a lot.

In terms of static electric, I have never been buzzed by a glider,an airplane nor helicopter since 1999. However, the old Cessna 182s and 185s I flew had a ground cable directly touching the ground on the left or right main wheel, out from the brake unit, Hueys had just skids to do the job. C421s, new C182s and UH-60s had all static wicks.

B737NG has wicks also and there is even an MEL item and you can ground the airplane if some number of static wicks are missing. Some fellow pilots mentioned about the St.Elmo fires on the windshield, this is very common if there are CBs around, precipitation in the clouds especially snow, but no problem if I want to touch them on the glass. When I get out and make the trip check , I examine the fuel tankers and there is a wide copper line touching the ramp.

I do not know why I become so obsessed with this issue and I know there in NO %100 safety in aviation world, but I want to take every precaution I could in near future. I miss flying GA airplanes and flight instruction.

Last Edited by SkyWagon at 13 Jun 11:48
Fly , Cycle and Run
LTBJ,LTFB, Turkey

Jacko wrote:

In the scheme of things, they are not expensive to buy second-hand

But they are not legal to bring on public roads without some certificate that you are not able to get unless you do this continuously (as a living). EU regulations actually, fire related. Max fuel (gasoline) amount is 330 l. Diesel is different. There is an Italian company making tanks like that with pump and filler and everything. You can put it on a small trailer and bring it to the gasoline station to fill it up. We have this one, mounted permanently on a small trailer:

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

When it comes to gasoline , the regulations are so stiff and limiting. The transportation of the flammable liquids on the motorway is defined with strict laws, the diesel is more friendly and literally speaking carrying diesel does not stir anyone’s nerves. @leSving the green tanks seems very handy. Maybe I can put this kind of tank on a pickup with proper measures.

Fly , Cycle and Run
LTBJ,LTFB, Turkey

LeSving wrote:

There is an Italian company making tanks like that with pump and filler and everything.

I have a 110L tank from the same company,which is small enough that I can unload it from my car by myself.. Good enough for Cherokee with mogas stc..

EETU, Estonia

But they are not legal to bring on public roads without some certificate that you are not able to get unless you do this continuously (as a living).

Sometimes it is worth reading rules before trying to obey them – in this case DIRECTIVE 2008/68/EC OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL of 24 September 2008 on the inland transport of dangerous goods (Text with EEA relevance) as implemented in the UK by The Carriage of Dangerous Goods and Use of Transportable Pressure Equipment Regulations 2009.

Regulation 16(2) excludes from the requirements of Part 2 carriage not undertaken by a “vehicle” (which is defined by Article 2 of the Directive to exclude most agricultural tractors).

Edit: of course it’s only a Directive, so each of the EU 27(+1?) will have ignored or gold plated it according to national character.

Last Edited by Jacko at 13 Jun 14:02
Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

On ENOP there is a 1 or 2000 l bowser. But then you need a tractor instead of a tiny trailer … And I think also a special permission ?

I don’t know the exact regulations, but those that did found out it was cheapest and easiest if everyone could simply hook it up to their car and fill it up. And that tank is really practical. Large enough to be useful, and with electric pump and meter. It’s more practical than a stationary tank, because there is no need to taxi to fuel. Just fill up the aircraft outside the hangar.

We also used it when we had a fly in at ENMO. Fuel for everyone (mogas at least).

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
27 Posts
Sign in to add your message