Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

German Squawk Listening Area vs TMZ ?

Any of the German colleagues here know the difference between these two?

The EasyVFR app shows both of these around EDNY Friedrichshafen, with the same geographic coverage, operation hours, and squawk code 2677.

The Squawk Listening Area specifies listening on Zurich Approach 119.925 and the TMZ specifies listening on Friedrichshafen TWR on 120.080.

Clearly, the pilot can’t be criticized for not answering calls from Friedrichshafen TWR if he’s listening on 119.925 and vice versa, and I would guess that Friedrichshafen would query Zurich Approach in that case. I’m just not sure what the benefit of this infrastructure is given the risk of delays if there is a need to contact / warn a pilot.

LSZK, Switzerland

SD shows only 2 EDNY related TMZ 1000/1700-5000ft.
No ZRH squawk zone…

Last Edited by ch.ess at 24 Jun 13:37
EDM_, Germany

chflyer wrote:

The EasyVFR app shows both of these around EDNY Friedrichshafen, with the same geographic coverage, operation hours, and squawk code 2677.

The Squawk Listening Area specifies listening on Zurich Approach 119.925 and the TMZ specifies listening on Friedrichshafen TWR on 120.080.

SkyDemon shows only a TMZ with squawk 2677 and monitoring LSZH APP on 119.925. That makes more sense as it is LSZH APP and not EDNY TWR that controls that airspace.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Thanks for thinking further AA.
It is call TMZ Friedrichshafen, though ;-)

EDM_, Germany

The ICAO chart also only mentions 119.925.

EDMG, Germany

TMZ means you may cross but xponder must be on, normally 7000. No listening req.
Squawk listening means if you are polite you switch to Zurich App on 119.925 and code 2677

easyvfr is not correct in relating a squawk to a TMZ. And care for the frequ., I just let correct the freq. for HH. Comes with the next update.

Karl_Acht wrote:

easyvfr is not correct in relating a squawk to a TMZ

Interesting. So there are indeed 2 different (but contiguous?) airspaces, one where there is a suggested (not required) squawk and listening frequency, and the other being the TMZ where simply a transponder is required and must be on?

ForeFlight don’t show a Squawk Listening Area, but instead show the TMZ with a box saying:
TMZ 1000AGL-5000
(exc CTR) Squawk
2677, MONITOR

So ForeFlight merges the Squawk Listening Area into the TMZ and assigns the squawk and freq to the TMZ, similar to SkyDemon. This does seem a more pragmatic and less confusing approach that the EasyVFR presentation of two airspaces.

Last Edited by chflyer at 25 Jun 12:35
LSZK, Switzerland

@Karl-Acht Not correct for Germany anymore.

If there is a TMZ with tx code and Radio frequency, then you are obliged to dial in both and listen…

Source: circular march 2020

Last Edited by ch.ess at 25 Jun 12:39
EDM_, Germany

ch.ess wrote:

If there is a TMZ with tx code and Radio frequency, then you are obliged to dial in both and listen…

Source: circular march 2020

I’m not saying that a “TMZ with air-ground communications watch” is a bad idea, but once again there is no support in SERA for such a construction.

I really wish that national CAAs would stop inventing their own stuff.

(OTOH the British system with listening watch is ok since it is not mandatory.)

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

I’m not saying that a “TMZ with air-ground communications watch” is a bad idea, but once again there is no support in SERA for such a construction.

I really wish that national CAAs would stop inventing their own stuff.

TMZ+RMZ? Close enough…

EGTR
30 Posts
Sign in to add your message