Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Watch out for a big "danger area" in the Dover-France crossing (and drone conspicuity)

Peter wrote:

Still at 1500ft max. Maybe the immigrants have terrain following radar and fly low down?

Nah, they just charter from Mr. Henderson…..

These large DAs are still there now, but I have not seen anything over 1500ft.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The civilian drone is still operating very successfully regularly and some very long sorties.Its well operated very GA aware and the crew monitor and are on VHF comms. It integrates very well with local traffic and operating at low level causes no issues.The hugely expensive military drones are withdrawn till next summer.They were much more disruptive , operated much higher and were apparently far less capable than the civilian drone.A good example of small private enterprise hugely outperforming the state and large corporations working on a cost+ basis.Regards Stampe

United Kingdom

Didnt I read there is another restricted zone for drones to/from the Scillies too?

Administrator

These prohibited areas have been expanded. You cannot now do a low level sightseeting flight along the Dover coast. MOR mandatory, 100% enforcement, no prisoners taken. “Danger areas” are equivalent to Class A or any other CAS, when it comes to enforcement

Administrator

Yep, that piece just off Folkestone hindered me from going lower down to see the coast lask weekend. That triangle just off of Dover only goes up to 800 feet MSL, but still disturbs.

All the other ones are away from the coast and thus only a factor for Channel crossings, which ideally should only be done some higher anyway, but there may be poor weather days when the VFR flyer can’t climb any higher…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Peter wrote:

These prohibited areas have been expanded. You cannot now do a low level sightseeting flight along the Dover coast.

Maybe U-space isn’t such a bad idea after all.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

Peter wrote: These prohibited areas have been expanded. You cannot now do a low level sightseeting flight along the Dover coast.

Maybe U-space isn’t such a bad idea after all.

@Airborne_Again, I think not! Keep in mind that the UK DfT does not give damn about the ordinary pilots (they ONLY cater for the “industry”, i.e. airlines, a/c and drone manufacturers, military etc). I think if you say yes to U-space then it will be absolutely everywhere.

EGTR

arj1 wrote:

I think if you say yes to U-space then it will be absolutely everywhere.

It’s not a question about “saying yes” – at least not for the EU. It’s already been decided on. The question is exactly where the U-space will be.

What problems do you foresee?

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 03 Apr 10:49
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message