Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Need advice for a long VFR flight tomorrow ( EDWF to LFRG with Channel crossing)

We‘re planing a VFR flight tomorrow from EDWF to LFRG. Crossing the channel twice ( I know this is not the shortest way but my passenger likes to see the british coastline). It‘s just a flight for seightseeing. So what. But I found an area over the channel that is called „Aerial survey schedule“ from sfc-3500ft. How do you treat this area? Avoid under any circumstances, you can ignor it or is this only an info or an airspace infrigment if you fly in it?

Thank you, making the flight more confortable to me.

EDWF, Germany

I would avoid it. There’s a lot of drone activity in the channel due to the surveillance operations associated with illegal boat crossings. What I usually do is to fly between 3500ft and FL65.

Last Edited by Fernando at 18 Jul 19:18
EGSU, United Kingdom

Had a look at SD’s manual and could not find any reference re the symbol used, red hashed grey bordered circle…
Now having simulated your flight, I see no mention of said Aerial Survey zone in the red Warnings tab. Also not listed in the NOTAM tab.

The 2 Aerial Survey zones have the same imprint, but different dates. This is the text of the 2nd one:

This Aerial Survey zone doesn’t fit in any restricted, danger, special airspace, nor anything else. So for me, it is just a non-defined “informative special use zone”, where higher vigilance is required…
If you fly using your Xpdr and Radio (…), just pass your message to London info asking them if the area is restricted or not. If yes, stay 3500+.

Have a nice flight!

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Dan wrote:

This Aerial Survey zone doesn’t fit in any restricted, danger, special airspace, nor anything else. So for me, it is just a non-defined “informative special use zone”, where higher vigilance is required…

I concur, just ensure that you look outside. :)

EGTR

They seem to be created from NOTAMs. They have no specific restriction from what I can tell. They are just telling you that there is traffic in the area carrying out survey work (so frequent use and probably doesn’t want to turn off track).

However there are some danger areas which seem to have similar boundaries and may well be activated at the same time. So do check the danger areas. Danger areas in the UK are quite restrictive and going inside one without meeting any requirements will get you into trouble.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

dublinpilot wrote:

Danger areas in the UK are quite restrictive and going inside one without meeting any requirements will get you into trouble.

Is there any particular reason why the UK treats (most) danger areas the same as restricted areas?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

They are the same in terms of pilot punishment.

It is all a part of this stupid policy which started a few years ago. The phrase is “total punishment”.

I have never met anybody who knew who started this scheme but we all know who runs it

FWIW not all DAs create a criminal offence by transiting. Only those with a byelaw attached do. Not sure how one can easily find out though.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Aerial surveys tend to work in a grid pattern up and down about 6 times and then return for fuel and go again for another 6 or 7. They often consist of 2 aircraft one following the other and slightly higher and travel at their minimum speed usually around 90kts. They are flight planned and have to negotiate entry to DAs for a specific period of time, which for UK DAs can only be done an hour before the flight takes place.
As has been said SD is probably giving a heads up of this traffic. They do not restrict other flights other than keeping an eye out. But if you can you might prefer to fly higher or avoid.
They can be followed on things sites like Flight Radar.

France

FWIW not all DAs create a criminal offence by transiting. Only those with a byelaw attached do. Not sure how one can easily find out though.

This is really something that should be in the UK airspace review. Danger areas are just that – areas where there is a danger to the aeroplane if you go in one – not restricted areas. There are permanant danger areas off the coast of France you need to fly through to go to certain airfields and there is none of this “crossing service” BS. The ones requiring a crossing service should be re-designated Restricted areas, it would make everyone’s life so much easier…

17 Posts
Sign in to add your message