Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Advice for fuel stop on the way back from LFMD to EDWF

Goog morning to all from Cannes,
just out for a early morning walk in Cannes with thoughts on the flight back tomorrow to EDWF. Due to forecasted strong headwind I have to plan for a fuelstop. Nearly right in the middle is EDSB with reasonable fuelprice, landing fees and instrument approaches. But what if the wx is bad or too much icing in the approach. Quit sure, we have protection on the Malibu but I don‘t get rid of on the ground with temperatures around zero. So I‘m looking for an other aerodrome just in case. Any idea? Should have instrument appraoches, avgas and should be known for quick turn around. Anything beside Swiss please.
Thank you if you have any good advice for me

Last Edited by Tigerflyer at 29 Jan 08:21
EDWF, Germany

That little front tomorrow isn‘t going to be too strong, as it looks. Tops at FL100 max.

EDSB is ok for a fuel-stop. With a BP card and aerops, you can be on your way again in 15 minutes. Just don‘t expect any food there.

Colmar should work too, of course.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

EDSB is my first choice of course. Colmar isn“t far away and has the same fuel price as EDSB. What about ELLX for just fueling and pitstop for passengers? Any expirience?

Last Edited by Tigerflyer at 29 Jan 09:56
EDWF, Germany

With a BP card and aerops

What does aerops do to speed it up?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Pay your landing fee on the smartphone in a heartbeat. Saves you from starting up the aricraft again to position on the apron, walk to the C-building and having to pay using their PC/paymachine inside.

The weather in Germany shouldn’t be much of an issue today in a PA46. Tops FL80 it seems. Obviously some ice below. Light snow.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 30 Jan 08:10

This morning in Cannes!

Fortunately we were early enough at the airport. Took about 30mins to get rid of the ice.

Nice wx till the descend into EDSB

RASN and visibility 2500m ovc in 800ft
Fueling in EDSB was a nightmare. Took 45 mins and several calls to get someone to handle the pump and another 15 to pay.

EDWF, Germany

Why did it take so long and why dod you need assistance at all? Did the card reader not work?

We had no BP Card ( the owner means he doesn’t need one) and had to wait for somebody from the fireguard to operate the station. Nevertheless, the fuelingpoint is in the middle of nowhere on the airport. If you have guests who likes to do a pitstop than forget it. So we will try to circumnavigate EDSB in the future.

EDWF, Germany

Well, honestly, I don’t feel very sorry for people who fly across Europe in a piston aircraft who don’t have a BP card and therefore run into issues.

I thought you were the owner. But even if you aren’t, you should still have one. No need to be the owner to get one.

Seems to me that having fuel cards (WF, Total, BP…) is necessary when flying around Europe

It also allow locking a fuel quote before landing, when someone comes to help with fuelling there is a random spread on price, always positive though

If it’s JetA truck, using credit card is a must, with fuel card you may get surprises and you may not get the money back…

Last Edited by Ibra at 30 Jan 18:07
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
19 Posts
Sign in to add your message