Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

'Not Above' clearance

James_Chan wrote:

I believe SERA will in future fix this problem by requiring ATC controls traffic inside controlled airspace only.

SERA might fix the problem but if the UK leaves EASA — as it appears now, then it won’t matter for UK ATC.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Ibra wrote:

“This is because the UK strangely permits ATC in uncontrolled airspace”

Oxford has an ATZ and ATC who manage it? outside ATZ you can fly as you wish

I don’t think it’s UK specific, St-Cyr and Toussus near Paris have proper Ground/Tower ATC in plain Class G even with no ATZ or CTR concept…

The ATZ is still uncontrolled airspace, which is the odd thing. But it as you say it is not the UK that “permits”. The possibility of having controlled airports in class G airspace is in SERA and indeed in the International Rules of the Air (ICAO Annex 2).

Are St Cyr and Toussus le Noble both ATS and not ATC?

France

My understanding they are ATC not FIS/AFIS, for sure they do control inbound/outbound IFR traffic when it’s inside nearby Paris TMA or while on the ground, for VFR they ask procedural reporting and I doubt VFR can just go and fly overhead those airports and call himself uncontrolled

I have been given vector & slow down instruction in class G (I was doing 190kts while VFR on on descent bellow that Class A shelf )

To me “clear for takeoff & land on L/R runway” means tower ATC but I could be wrong

Last Edited by Ibra at 13 Sep 13:36
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

gallois wrote:

both ATS and not ATC?

Both ATC and (A)FIS are ATS (Air Traffic Services).

25 Posts
Sign in to add your message