Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Croatia getting it all wrong with their EU join

Having read this thread, obviously enough people have been there so I'd like to sort of "hijack" the thread and ask for any tips on where to go, what to do in Croatia? Am going to take a trip down there early next week, probably routing Vilshofen - Wiener Neustadt - Ballaton - ???

Cheers!

EDL*, Germany

Steve,

I liked Brac in Croatia. Lots to do.

EGTK Oxford

Depends on how long you are there. Brac is cool, you can take a taxi down to the sea and stay at Bol, or take the bus to Supetar and take the ferry over to Split. But you can fly to Split aswell, and if you do i can give you many tips - it's my 2nd hometown :-)

Closer: Mali Losinj Farther: Dubrovnik Both: very nice

Hi Steve, Hungary is a fine place to visit by plane. It does look very flat from above, but it is all made up by the friendliness of the people. Sarmallek is a fairly large airport at the Ballaton sea and hardly any traffic. There are small pensions all over the place for little money. We stood at a pension called "Moritz", the owner even picked us up and drove us back. The night was 35 euros with breakfast ! Food is very healthy, but cheap in hungary, airports, mostly grass strips, very reasonably. I do have the impression that you get much more for your money in hungary, tschechei, serbia than i.e. france, spain, portugal and even croatia. regards Detlev

EDHE

Croatia is one of the most beautiful places on Earth for me (maybe because my mothe ris from there?) - but the Czech tradition in aviation is incredible. I have visited many airfields there, and although the flying clubs don't have much money the standard of (hand!) flying is very high, the people are very friendly - and flying there is more simple than anywhere else in Europe.

Coming from Germany it's like a local flight... you don't even have to call them on the radio.

I became a member of the Rakovnik (LKRK) flying club this year, and now I have a key for they gate. Which means I don't have to climb the fence anymore if I land at LKRK during the week :-)

Thanks for the tips, guys! Concerning the tips about Hungary, I flew around Slovakia and Hungary last year, enjoyed a lovely couple days in Budapest (landed at Budaoersch), this year finally managed to cross the North Sea and flew around UK, next year Croatia is my target, definitely wanted to head down to Split, don't know whether the flight further to Dubrovnik is worthwhile? I'm more interested in lovely scenery, interesting locations than sandy beaches....

Total duration for the trip will be around 6 days.....

EDL*, Germany

Dubrovnik is only an hour south of Split with a Piper Archer – and definitely worth a visit! If you have any questions about Split, or need any help there, just let me know.

I have loads of Croatian flying writeups here

There is one more to write up when I get around to it, with more detail on Mali Losinj, from our trip in September.

I think it's fair to say that Croatia doesn't have a lot of sandy beaches and is rather a place for seeing around and enjoying. The people we have met there have all been very nice too. The islands are lovely, with Losinj LDLO and Brac LDSB being the main islands to fly to.

Croatia is also a perfect stopping point for trips down to Greece. The TB20 can reach anywhere in Croatia from southern UK, and can reach anywhere in Greece in the next leg. Croatia has no avgas hassles, but watch the opening hours in some cases e.g. Brac.

I am from Prague but have not flown a lot around CZ. Just Prague and Pribram.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Am going to take a trip down there early next week, probably routing Vilshofen - Wiener Neustadt - Ballaton - ???

Let me know when you are in LOAN. It's my homebase. We can have coffee or lunch in a nice steakhouse next to the airport.

In Hungary, you may want to visit Hertelendy Kastely. Expensive, but really exceptional with the grass runway next to the Hotel. Also great for the "significant other".

In Slovenia, Portoroz (LJPZ) is always great. I love Losinj (LDLO), but you should be aware that's is already off-season. Therefore, many restaurants/hotels may be closed.

Further down the coast, Dubrovnik is always an interesting destination. Great flying over islands of the Kornati national park.

My personal favourite, however, is Montenegro. Just 20 minutes further down the coast than Dubrovnik, still comparatively unspoilt, with fantastic scenery and sights. The old town of Kotor is Unesco World Cultural Heritage, for instance.

The approach into Tivat Airport (LYTV) from the North is spectacular. They are friendly and reasonably priced, although they don't get a lot of GA traffic yet. When we were there in June 2012, the only other "small" aircraft were a German Cirrus and several Lears/Citations with there (presumably Russian) costumers.

Enjoy your trip!

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

Tivat seems like a very good idea! I think I will combine that with one of my next flights to Split ... Thank your for sharing!

Sign in to add your message