Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

FAA 61.75 piggyback + FAA IR (and whether a Type Rating can be added to a 61.75)

Sorry to open this old thread again;
I currently have an FAA PPL 61.75 + IRA (US test passed) based on my EASA PPL license.
Can I add an FAA Type Rating to my 61.75 FAA license?

So basically I would have an FAA PPL + IRA + Type rating even though my EASA counterpart is just a PPL license.
Is this correct? Sounds odd though.

Thanks!

You can.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

You can.

@Snoopy, where it would be valid? Outside the EASA airspace, right? I thought that TR means in general an MPA and that means not a PPL.

EGTR

It depends.
In principal it would be valid on any N-reg airplane.

If you are a EU/EASA territory resident, you also require an EASA license + the rating.

I thought that TR means in general an MPA and that means not a PPL.

Plenty of single pilot type-ratings. PPL is fine.

always learning
LO__, Austria

There is detail needed.

What TR is this for?

No FTO will do a jet TR unless you have a PPL + IR at least.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Just being technical here (sorry) but

What TR is this for?

should be irrelevant and

No FTO will do a jet TR unless you have a PPL + IR at least.

is obvious, as not having at least a PPL would mean not having a license at all. OSD probably precludes it but there might even be a type rating that could be done VFR only.

Fun fact: There is a way to get type ratings onto FAA at Private level without IR.

always learning
LO__, Austria

What is the story behind the B787 VFR-only TR?

This topic has come up many times all over the place and no FTO in Europe was willing to take on a jet TR candidate without an IR.

I also don’t understand why the OP did not mention the aircraft type. It could be a non jet TR; there are some planes over 12500lb which are not jets.

A VFR-only jet TR is obviously completely meaningless.

Administrator

and no FTO in Europe was willing to take on a jet TR candidate without an IR.

It’s not really the ATOs choice. Because of OSD (operator suitability data) stipulating experience prerequisites. The ATO cannot get courses approved that deviate from OSD. In some cases, e.g. for non-complex planes, NAA’s enforce even OE GM (in spite of it being only „guidance“).

always learning
LO__, Austria

It’s funny how someone throws a tiny piece of bread into a duckpond, runs away, and all the ducks fight over it

Let’s go back to basics.

The Q is re a TR for an FAA license. So you would not be doing this in Europe anyway, unless you can do it at one of the big jet sim facilities. I am told CAE Burgess Hill can do it.

As regards European FTOs, that may be the theory but practice is usually different. For example most of them will not train anything in a customer aircraft, and this happens to be a huge problem for the adoption of the Euro IR, because an IR is almost worthless unless you own or part-own a decent plane. Yes I know Sweden is different

But this Q is surely re an FAA TR.

The story behind that 787 VFR-only TR has to be something totally daft, hence no detail is likely to be forthcoming. There is no 787 operation carrying passengers or cargo which is permitted to go VFR, ever, surely…

An FAA TR would be valid worldwide, for an N-reg, except where disallowed. For example there was some funny business with the FAA SIC (second in command) rating. I believe it got resolved somehow.

This chap has a TR for an Eclipse on an 61.75

Administrator

Peter wrote:

The story behind that 787 VFR-only TR has to be something totally daft,

Not all, most likely was issued on the basis of existing type rating, and you can see the pilot now has Mutl-engine approval on his/her 61.75 , so could for example now fly a king air, or a seneca, or similar. Most probably has an foreign IR, but hasn’t passed the FAA IR written required for the piggyback.

coopersjcw wrote:

Can I add an FAA Type Rating to my 61.75 FAA license?

Are you eligible for an FAA ATP? If so I would the make the checkride for ATP and the TR.

Last Edited by Ted at 29 Jun 20:54
Ted
United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message