Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Procedure to obtain a BZF for EASA PPL holders (flying into German-only fields)

Interesting, thanks! Yes, that’s the reason why I didn’t extend my German LP4 entry, which I got for free, as I did my flight training in German back in 2017. (As Dutch is my mother language, I couldn’t use a self-declaration.) For now, I have English LP5 which will expire next year. I’ll try to get LP6 (online) and otherwise extend my LP5. No need for a German LP.

Regarding RT: I’ve both German and English entered in my Swiss license, which was transferred from Germany in 2020.

Last Edited by Frans at 14 Dec 21:20
Switzerland

Frans wrote:

Yes indeed, but I was searching for the one from FOCA (Swiss CAA).

Indeed there seem no specific form for that on their website. I would call BAZL / FOCA or contact them via [email protected], probably they have missed creating a form for that given the relatively low number of usage? Anyway, they want to see some proof of having German as a mother language, i.e. adding a CV and / or school certificates.

EDIT: Again, just to avoid a misunderstanding: You can run German language RT, provided you have such a RT-licence, without German LP on the pilots licence. RT and LP are two different topics; see part FCL 055, as copied above in #40 by @YakovD: “(…) pilots required to use the radio telephone shall not exercise the privileges of their licences and ratings unless they have a language proficiency endorsement on their licence in either English or the language used for radio communications involved in the flight.

Last Edited by Marcel at 14 Dec 20:04
LSZF Birrfeld, LFSB Basel-Mulhouse, Switzerland

MichaLSA wrote:

Such as this?
https://www.lba.de/SharedDocs/Downloads/DE/Formulare/L4/Lizenzierung/Erklaerung_zu_Sprachkenntnissen_Deutsch.pdf?__blob=publicationFile&v=2
Yes indeed, but I was searching for the one from FOCA (Swiss CAA). I’m afraid the self-declaration from LBA won’t be valid at FOCA. I actually did know that you’ll get German LP6 in Germany by self-declaration, however, it was new to me for Switzerland.
Last Edited by Frans at 14 Dec 18:50
Switzerland

Ibra wrote:

AFAIK, the only thing that is recognised across EASA during PPL exam by “foreign radio and language examiners” is English RTF/LP testing

Technically Part-FCL.055.a says this:

General. Aeroplane, helicopter, powered-lift and airship pilots required to use the radio telephone
shall not exercise the privileges of their licences and ratings unless they have a language proficiency
endorsement on their licence in either English or the language used for radio communications involved
in the flight. The endorsement shall indicate the language, the proficiency level and the validity date.

This suggests that non-English language proficiency listed on the licence must be recognized by all the EASA states.

EGKR, United Kingdom

Frans wrote:

Ah, that is completely new to me, however, very good to know! Do you have a link for this? I would like to share it at our aeroclubs.

Such as this?
https://www.lba.de/SharedDocs/Downloads/DE/Formulare/L4/Lizenzierung/Erklaerung_zu_Sprachkenntnissen_Deutsch.pdf?__blob=publicationFile&v=2

update Just got my old documents out, I did use the following as simple informal letter (template was given by the flight school) to get LP6.

Selbsterklärung zum Sprachnachweis

Ich, (Vorname, Name, Nummer der Lizenz / des Luftfahrerscheins / des Ausweises)

versichere durch meine Unterschrift, dass Deutsch meine Muttersprache ist und bitte um Eintrag des Sprachniveau 6 “Expertenniveau” in die Erlaubnis.

Mir ist bekannt, dass meine Erlaubnis nach der Verordnung (EU) Nr. 1178/2011 ARA.FCL.250 der LuftVZO beschränkt oder widerrufen werden kann, wenn die Erlangung durch Fälschung eingereichter Nachweise oder durch missbräuchliche Verwendung von Zeugnissen zustande kam.

(Ort, Datum, Unterschrift

Last Edited by MichaLSA at 13 Dec 14:04
Germany

Marcel wrote:

Well, German LP6 can be done via self-declaration provided one has completed a certain number of years at a German-speaking school.
Ah, that is completely new to me, however, very good to know! Do you have a link for this? I would like to share it at our aeroclubs.
Switzerland

Thanks @Marcel. I know Dagmar and did the VFR-Voice with her. Will call her up on the efforts.

Switzerland

Well, German LP6 can be done via self-declaration provided one has completed a certain number of years at a German-speaking school.

@parachutesj – being based in CH with a Swiss licence, you can also do the Swiss ‚VFR-Voice‘ in German. I don’t know where in CH you are based, from what I hear a lot of candidates attend a RT-course by Dagmar Hollerer (https://www.fly-t.ch).

Just to repeat, the German BZF1 includes German & English VFR-RT, BZF2 is German-only VFR-RT.
Normally, in Germany, BZF2 is the initial RT-licence one earns, and there is also a theory-part containing some Air Law – I don’t know if there is a sort of abbreviated exam for holders of other RT-licences which excludes this theory-part.

LSZF Birrfeld, LFSB Basel-Mulhouse, Switzerland

MichaLSA wrote:

though I assume Romansh-only airfields are rather scarce?
There is no Romansh RTF. Even the AIP isn’t translated into Romansh. Samedan would be the only Swiss airfield, which is located in the Romansh-speaking part of Switzerland, but they offer English (and German for non-commercial VFR-traffic) only. The only Romansh you might hear is AFIS pronaunce Samedan in Romansh: “Sa-me-den”, eventually added with “Allegra”, which means “Hello”. In German, Samedan is pronounced as “Sa-ma-den” (Swissgerman: “Sa-ma-de”). Most Germans say however “Sa-me-dan”, which is just the way you write it, but not the way of pronunciation.

MichaLSA wrote:
It might even be that German LP6 can be given on self-declaration as mother tongue to Swiss having attended basic school education in Switzerland.
So far I know, they don’t. Even a native German speaker needs to do an exam, if German LP is requested. Normally, the Swiss have only an English LP entry and eventually German as RT privilege.
Last Edited by Frans at 12 Dec 15:46
Switzerland

Switzerland is EASA and does have four official languages, so I guess they could officially sign any LP on these – German, French and Italian

Of course, FOCA examiners can sign what they wish on FOCA papers, even Katmandu RTF/LP !

That was not my question, my question can FOCA RTF/LP examiner sign privileges for:
- French RTF/LP on DGAC PPL?
- German RTF/LP on LBA PPL?
- Italian RTF/LP on ENAC PPL?

Let’s say for EASA PPL when initial issue was done by other authorities

• If NO, why does one think their German RTF/LP on FOCA PPL is “magically” recognised by LBA? or Bundesnetzagentur?
  • If YES, I would buy this story of “we speak the same French, Italian, German” and “no worries, it’s in Section XII of FCL or Section lambda of my RTF”

AFAIK, the only thing that is recognised across EASA during PPL exam by “foreign radio and language examiners” is English RTF/LP testing

Please let’s put self-declaration and common sense aside: like “I have citizenship”, “I have done it primary school” or “I lived there for 30 years”, “I am good at accents”…we are talking RTF/LP exams and regulations here !

Last Edited by Ibra at 12 Dec 15:46
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
43 Posts
Sign in to add your message