Banner
Welcome to our forums

Recommendations for flying in the US

That is one hell of a cool ramp

EBZW, Belgium

Durango?

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom

Hey again all,

Today we made the decision to head to San Diego, the flights are booked, departing first week of October! It will hopefully be awesome! We extended the trip a few days as well so we get a full week of flying, as suggested in the thread.

I will start the paperwork immediately with the FSDO to have my license converted. We will also start identifying which rental options we have, Plus One Flyers looks awesome based on their website and aircraft availability.

To all of you who have supported, thanks again for the advice. When we get a bit closer, I might take you up on the offers to receive advice on practical things and where to go and what to visit.

Last Edited by martin-esmi at 26 Mar 16:01

Hey Martin, great choice and I have replied to your DM. Hope to see you guys here – beers on me!

PM sent

Hello,

I am planning a trip to the US in June. I have a PPL in France, I am a Flight Instructor and I have requested an equivalent US licence (PPL only, not Flight Instructor).
I am going to New York and am will have the interview with the CAA in New York.
Then, I am looking for a flight school/club where I can fly with an instructor in order to validate the US licence, and after that maybe learn a bit more tips about what I can do in the US (I am planning on visiting every year).

I can see that some pilots here either come from the US or have flown there.
I am looking for information about flight schools/clubs/rentals in the US, between Boston and New York. Do you know how I can find a school, what a reasonable price is and maybe some things I haven’t thought about that I should know if I go there please ?

Thank you for your help

[ @FredPilote post moved to same topic ]

LFOZ Orleans, France, France

FredPilote wrote:

I am looking for information about flight schools/clubs/rentals in the US, between Boston and New York.

Just curious why that area? If you take a look earlier in the thread you’ll see lots of discussion around the Southwest, which is fantastic for GA exploration. I know everyone wants to go to NY, but really there are much better places in the US to spend your time—especially if flying is your goal.

EHRD, Netherlands

There will be countless airfields and FBO’s along that route. Just have a look at Airnav and try contacting a few. FBO’s are notoriously poor emailers but those that do reply can be very helpful. Expect to need an FAA class 3 medical along with your reciprocal certificate. You’ll also need renters insurance but it may be easier to do that while there using an accommodation address. When you choose an FBO you’ll need to arrange a BFR which may only be an hour of flight and an hour of ground and covers your checkout.

I strongly suggest that you right now invest in Foreflight and an iPad to run it on if you don’t have one. That way you can study the airspace just as if you are already there. You can download the Far/Aim book and read it cover to cover, which will make your BFR much simpler.

It’ll help if you are familiar with the 172 since that’s what they are likely to be renting. And since you plan to be a regular visitor, don’t plan the Hudson Corridor for your first trip! Cut your teeth on rural cross countries and non-towered airports where you will find the environment totally relaxed, even more so than France! NY state is a very big place!

Enjoy!

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom

Aveling wrote:

I strongly suggest that you right now invest in Foreflight and an iPad to run it on if you don’t have one.

This is really good advice. SkyDemon is literally useless in the US.

EHRD, Netherlands

I prefer the north and this time is only for a few flights and some tourism. Next time will be for more flights.
Why is SkyDemon not suitable in the US ?

LFOZ Orleans, France, France
Sign in to add your message